Author Topic: Using as Fileserver on External Network  (Read 2638 times)

Arcath

• View Profile
Using as Fileserver on External Network
« on: October 12, 2007, 07:30:16 pm »
I already have a windows network on the external card, this windows network has a few machines, all of which have thier own music and movies etc.. on. Im trying to setup the Core as a file server, so each machine can put its music etc.. onto it.

I managed to get my test machine built out of spare parts to do it. But now ive built a proper media centre with proper parts, it doesnt work.

Ive disabled the firewall completely, and ive enabled all network sharing just like i did on the other one, but still it doesnt work.

I can get into web admin, and using PUTTY i can get remote terminal, so im pretty sure the problem lise in no users (including root) having permission to login over the network.

Arcath

• View Profile
Re: Using as Fileserver on External Network
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2007, 09:42:44 pm »
sorry to bump this but this is a real problem, ive tried re installing LinuxMCE, and still i have the same problem. anyone know how i can fix this

teedge77

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2007, 09:47:56 pm »
what exactly doesnt work? you say "it doesnt work" and "cant login over the network". you havent asked a question or given much info on whats happening.
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
Asus M2V Via AM2 ATX
Lite-On LH-20A1S SATA DVD Burner
80GB  SATA-150
EVGA GeForce 7300 GT 512MB DDR2 PCI Express
Sound Blaster Audigy SE
Kingston 2 GB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz
Ultra X-Finity 800-Watt
ZCU000
Cisco 7970
TDM400P

Arcath

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2007, 09:58:28 pm »
I am trying to use my Hybrid as as fileserver on the external network because it wont link to a windows server. I managed to get a test install on an old machine to work, and i could login but now i have installed it on my new media centre it wont allow any user even the re-enabled root to login over the network.

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2007, 12:11:42 am »
You could just put the windows network on the internal card and save yourself some trouble. 
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous