Disclaimer - I've installed Linux MCE only on a testbed thus far. I'm impressed enough that I would like to go live with a hybrid cabled to a 46" Samsung 720P DLP. I currently use Windows XP MCE to the DLP and an XBOX 360 extender adds a 2nd room. I plan on replacing/upgrading this to LinuxMCE. Please let me know if the following ideas are possible or make sense.
1. The hybrid/back-end should act as the broadband gateway/DHCP server for my home network, including Windows PC's.
2. I use VOIP at home and plan to leverage Asterisk
3. Between phone service and the fact that we work from home over VPN , the home network must be very reliable.
4. Since the network and phones will be dependent on the LinucMCE machine, I'd like the it to be near enterprise server reliable.
1. No redundant power, but I'd like the OS and certain irreplaceable media to be on (2) 500 GB hot-swap SATA drives in RAID1.
2. Although, this is somewhat against the grain, I would like the remaining drives (5) 320GB SATA drives as individual drives or JBOD. My rationale is that, if a drive fails, I can re-rip what was lost, if desired. My hope is that I can spin-down the media drives and only the media drive being accessed will be spun-up, helping to keep the system cool, quiet and more energy efficient.
Is this possible?
If so, please provide tips or references as to how to get started.