Author Topic: Network config  (Read 4955 times)

fillister

• View Profile
Network config
« on: September 06, 2007, 05:05:08 pm »
Hello, I'm attempting to set up my core using a M2NPV-VM motherboard with 2 NIC's. I have the Cat5 running from the cable modem to the core NIC that I plugged into the PCI slot and a CAT5 leaving the motherboard NIC port going back to my BSFR linksys 4 port router switch. I've logged into my router and disabled DHCP, but I'm a little confused about what port to plug into on the router, does the CAT5 that leaves my MB NIC port go to the router WAN port or one of the other ports? Also are their other settings on this router that I must change so that my day to day home desktop ( which uses Ubuntu feisty fawn) can communicate withe the core?

Thanks for your help

Fillister

countzer0

• View Profile
Re: Network config
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2007, 07:38:42 pm »
Plug it into your lan port.

teedge77

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2007, 07:57:00 pm »
what do you mean by "communicate withe (sic) the core"? what exactly is it you want to do? did you want to run a myth backend or something?
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
Asus M2V Via AM2 ATX
Lite-On LH-20A1S SATA DVD Burner
80GB  SATA-150
EVGA GeForce 7300 GT 512MB DDR2 PCI Express
Sound Blaster Audigy SE
Kingston 2 GB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz
Ultra X-Finity 800-Watt
ZCU000
Cisco 7970
TDM400P

pixelator

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2007, 08:40:51 pm »
if your set up is using:

Internet >  (WANside) Core (LAN side ) > router > network
then you would plug your cat5 from the internal nic on the core to a lan port on the switch/router.

The WAN port on the switch/router is only used if you are connecting it directly to you WAN provider.
for example: Internet > (WANside) router (LAN side ) > core > network

fillister

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2007, 12:42:22 am »
Teedge77

My thought was that once the core (backend) was set up as the DHCP server I could remove the monitor, keyboard and mouse and change settings via my desktop computer on the wired lan. But as I read the instructions again it looks like I can do these operations through the frontends (orbiters?)

To all: Thank you for the info, I'll move off the wan port and over the lan on the router

teedge77

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2007, 01:08:25 am »
yeah you can do some changes through the orbiters and you can do a lot of configuration in the web admin also. id be careful about when you take it off life support though (monitor, keyboard and mouse). make sure you have it running halfway decently. you could accidentally change something and have to hook it right back up again. ;)
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
Asus M2V Via AM2 ATX
80GB  SATA-150
Sound Blaster Audigy SE
Ultra X-Finity 800-Watt
ZCU000
Cisco 7970
TDM400P

druke

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2007, 05:41:07 am »
wait... so I have a wrt54g v5, I can plug my core in as part of the lan, have it do dhcp and everything else on the lan?? All this leaving the WAN port unoccupied?

Sorry i'm not good with htis stuff but am very curious, also how would I go about chaining many routers together for the overall home network (wrt's only have 4 ports) that would all get DHCP from the core.

teedge77

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2007, 05:32:53 pm »
if you dont have a lot of experience networking then chaining routers together could be a bit much. get a switch or two if you need em. you dont have to understand anything about networking then.
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
Asus M2V Via AM2 ATX
80GB  SATA-150
Sound Blaster Audigy SE
Ultra X-Finity 800-Watt
ZCU000
Cisco 7970
TDM400P

druke

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2007, 09:50:38 pm »
my only concern then is getting a wifi signal

teedge77

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2007, 09:51:54 pm »
you wouldnt use the WAN port for anything but connecting to the internet. so just hooking up to the lan should work.
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
Asus M2V Via AM2 ATX
80GB  SATA-150
Sound Blaster Audigy SE
Ultra X-Finity 800-Watt
ZCU000
Cisco 7970
TDM400P

pixelator

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2007, 02:11:44 am »
my only concern then is getting a wifi signal

Here is my set up:
(basement)
Wan to Core (eth0) with PPPOE. The core acts as my "gateway" to the net and provides DHCP to my internal network (LAN)

Core to LAN (my internal netwrok)
eth1 connects to a switch port1 on my linksys router/switch. NOTE that the routing function is disabled in the linksys admin interface and the WAN port is not used.

Switched port2 on the linksys then connects to a 3COM switch which acts as my main network switch.

Also attached to the 3COM is a linksys wireless router/switch on the second floor. This also has routing disabled and acts only as a switch (WAN port not used) providing wireless access for the house.

NOTES: You could easily remove the linksys switch between the 3COM and the Core (wan to core eth0 to eth1 to 3COM). I however have a specific need for the linkys unrelated to LMCE.

Alternative method::
you could also set up something like -
WAN to Linksys wan port to linksys switch port1-4 to core eth0 to internal network switch.
This would place the core on your internal net. But you should still disable DHCP on the linksys and allow the Core to manage that. You also only need one NIC in the core to operate this way.

The down side is that it is a bit more difficult to set up the internal client nodes to get the correct gateway and DNS settings they need. You would likely need to manually set this info for each client node.

I have run both set-ups and both will work. It just depends on what your comfortable with and what LMCE features you plan to use.

If you plan to use any direct Core-to-internet features (i.e. VoIP services), then you will need to use the core as the gateway to get the most reliable service.

druke

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2007, 04:59:17 pm »
thanks a ton guys, I never realized the wan port on the router was not needed, I've never had 'formal' training on this so this has cleared alot of things up :).