Author Topic: Can't Install: LMCE tries to use the on-board card's driver on my PCI card!  (Read 3126 times)

tokabowla

• View Profile
I've tried installing LMCE using the Quickinstall DVD & installing Kubutnu first, then using the 2-cd method, but I'm having serious issues.  Both installers keep detecting my crappy on-board video card (intel 828XX which is disabled in my BIOS) and trying to run the i810 driver on my Nvidia Geforce 6200oc card!  I can't even get to the avwizard, or boot to the kubuntu live-cd.  What could be causing this?  Again, in my BIOS I've set my primary display device to "PCI" instead of "On-board video".  I plug my VGA cable into the on-board, and it's not being used, but both the Quickinstall DVD & Kubuntu "see" this as the video card, & try to use it on my Nvidia card, causeing X to crash (of course).  I've tried changing xorg.conf to use the correct Nvidia driver, but this only partialy works, and the display is never configured right.  HELP!
I'll let you know any info you need.
Thanks!

1audio

• Addicted
    • View Profile
Is it possible to fully disable the on board video, or to set its memory to "0"? And is your MB AGP or PCI express? You should select AGP if its an AGP card, the on board video will look like PCI to the system.

tokabowla

• View Profile
It's an old MB, so only PCI, not PCI-E.  There was no way to actually disable the on-board, only set priority between the 2.  I bricked it anyway flashing the BIOS, but thanks for the responce. 

speedyone

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
I struggled with getting my PCI NIC card to communicate to a switch downstream of the core. My MB has two onboard LAN adapters on it. I came from the cable modem into one of the onboard LAN ports and then out of the PCI NIC card to the switch.

I finally experimented with connecting the core to the switch using the second onboard LAN adapter and whada know....wverything worked...the core starting communicating with the switch.

Best of luck  ;)

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
speedyone - they are talking about a video card, rather than NIC... in any case, those posts are very old indeed.

speedyone

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
...oops thanks for correcting me.... :)

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
deactivate Xconfigure.sh, create a manual xorg.conf for your card.
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
yes, you might want to do that from rescue mode..
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation