Author Topic: How to configure storage on your core  (Read 2206 times)

outlier

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
How to configure storage on your core
« on: October 07, 2007, 10:55:48 pm »
What is the proper way to configure drives in a dedicated core?

This seems like an obvious thing, but I'm not finding the documentation for some reason, and my attempts have not been very successful.

My initial idea was to use a 120GB drive for the system, 6 750GB drives in RAID5 for data, leaving me one header for a CDROM drive so I could load software.  I installed kubuntu to the system drive, with the /home partition on the RAID, since I knew Linux MCE wants to put all its media in the /home parition.

What seems to have happened, however, is that once all was operational, Linux MCE detected the RAID and put a link to it into the /home/public directory.  Whenever I would install some media, it would end up in multiple locations in the database; /home/public/data/audio/foo.flac, /home/public/RAID/home/public/data/audio/foo.flac, /home/public/RAID/home/public/RAID/home/public/data/audio/foo.flac, etc. ( I'm recounting this from memory, so maybe the link was in data instead of public, but that doesn't really matter now.)

Obviously, this was not the way.  I tried removing the link to the RAID array using the web admin RAID options.  Bad idea.

I'm now facing a full re-install, starting with kubuntu.  So I ask again, what is the *right* way to configure the drives?

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
Re: How to configure storage on your core
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2007, 11:31:19 pm »
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

outlier

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
Re: How to configure storage on your core
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2007, 05:54:13 am »
Yes, and that may be part of the problem.  When you create a RAID in Linux MCE there seems to be a built in assumption that it's a NAS - Linux MCE wants to put links to your RAID into all the data directories.  Not good if the RAID contains the data directories already.  Especially when deleting those links takes out the whole RAID as well.  But then, I'm new and likely screwed up the install in some way.  Hence, my question:  How are you *supposed* set up your partitioning?