Author Topic: Display issue after install  (Read 6511 times)

ac14112

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
Display issue after install
« on: September 16, 2007, 11:37:05 pm »
I installed using the Quick Install DVD cause im kinda a linux newbie and definately a linuxmce newbie.  I installed it with the computer hooked up to a monitor using vga (the video card also has dvi out) and then i tried to hook it up to my hdtv with dvi to hdmi cable.  I no the cable is good because ive used it before, and the dvi out on the card was good the last time i checked.  For some reason, when i tried to hook it up to the tv, i got nothing to display.  I took it back to the monior and ran the setup and configured the outputs to dvi at 1080i (the max res on my tv) and then hooked it back up to the tv, and still nothing.  I hope someone can tell me what is going on and how to fix it. 

video card: Asus A9550 (ati chipset)

in_vancouver

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
Re: Display issue after install
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2007, 12:42:12 am »
Hope someone has an answer on this. I'm having the same problem. Well almost. If i hook mine up to my 26 lcd through the dvi all is well. If I hook it up to my 46in i get nothing. Using on board nvidia 6600.

ac14112

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2007, 04:44:01 pm »
bump

lucidus.nox

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2007, 07:25:20 pm »
If the output is fine on a monitor I would suspect the problem is your TV does not support the mode the graphics card is sending it. Check to see if you can use one of the modelines for a similar TV. There is a pretty good list with lots of things to try  at the MythTV modeline database http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Modeline_Database

ac14112

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2007, 04:45:48 am »
i looked in the modeline database, but my tv isnt in there. its a sylvania.  can u maybe point me in the right direction for which modeline to use? thanks

rwilson131

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2007, 04:59:38 am »
Try the troubleshooting options listed in this wiki
http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/AVWizard

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2007, 12:32:23 pm »
I see you're using a video card with ATI chipset, so you might want to look at "Display_Drivers" in the wiki as well.  I think you might have to install the proprietary drivers from ATI to enable the other outputs.  There are also a few pointers on how to set up modelines.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

rancid_elf

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2007, 12:09:39 pm »
I do not know if this is the same thing or not but there is something I found during the setup stages.

When you go into the video , sound setup of mce it will rely on vga output and not dvi.

If you then select dvi -> hdmi from the menu it will then set to dvi.

But when ever you go into the 1st option page on the setup it will always be vga regardless if you had it on dvi before and no signal will be sent via dvi.