Author Topic: 64 bit version of the installer?  (Read 8163 times)

thynk

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
64 bit version of the installer?
« on: March 14, 2007, 06:43:45 am »
I'm running the 64bit version of ubuntu 6.10 - will there be a 64 bit version of the installer, or is there another install method that I should use?

Thanks in advance,

Stu

kir

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: 64 bit version of the installer?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2007, 07:08:10 am »
I don't think that 64-bit version is available :( If you want to try LinuxMCE, you can install it in parallel with your existing system, you just need to get some free space on your drive :)

Cyberai

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2007, 05:51:08 pm »
I recently did a LOT of research in the field of 64 bit and MythTV. All of the experts agree that running Myth in 64 bit is (as of now) a BAD idea. The reasoning is this... 64 bit doesn't give you faster performance, it gives you more fine grained performance. If you use sound processing as an analogy it becomes easier to understand.

If you pump your raw sound (a live recording for example) into a 32 bit system, you can then adjust 32 bits of data. You have 32 degrees of variation. If you push the same raw sound into a 64 bit system, you have 64 degrees of variation. This means you can fine tune the sound better. BUT - you won't necessarily be processing it faster.

Since all of the content delivered through Myth, even HD content is easily handled by a 32bit pathway, there is no reason to go to 64bit for Myth. 32 bits is more than enough of a pipe for the data (Even Blue Ray and HD-DVD, I checked). There's just not enough data there to fill 64 bits.

As a matter of fact, on the MythTV mailing list, some users tried compiling myth for 64 bit from the source code and got horrible results. Others tried running regular Myth on a 64 bit OS and found that the results were also horrible (90% CPU use vs 12% CPU use for transcoding) due to the fact that the myth components were running in 32 bit emulation.

With all that in mind, it is HIGHLY recommended you have at least  3.6GB P4 class processor and 2 GB of RAM to do HD. (debate rages on best mobo manufacturer. I stick with MSI high-end gaming boards) I advise anyone considering HD to go with a dual core CPU. Right now the AMD FX 64 is king, despite it's lower clock speed, benchmarks show it WHOMPING on every other CPU when it's doing video or audio of any kind, transcoding is mind-bogglingly (is that a word?) fast. It even beats AMD's dual core 4400.

If you do go with a dual core system for your MythTV, be sure you are installing a 32 bit 2.6 SMP kernel. After that, install Myth and everything else takes care of itself. Some day we will go 64 bit, but it's going to take some work, and the results won't be an improvement, just the status quo.

More on this can be read here -> http://www.linuxis.us/linux/media/howto/linux-htpc/

hondaman

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2007, 07:25:49 pm »
I have played with 64 bit Fedora and mythtv.  In my experience, the 64 bit stuff has far more bugs, and I dont know why.  Maybe because less people are using/developing it?  *shrug*  But since the mythtv install is a headache as it is, I wouldnt recommend people use the 64 bit version either, simply because it doesnt need to get any more difficult than it already is.

badOwl

• First post!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2007, 03:14:17 pm »
I run MythTV on a 64-bit Ubuntu using a Dual-core Intel Chip. It took about 3 hours to install and get working straight from packages. It all works as expected. No bugs, no issues, no performance hits. So I'm not sure why people are saying there is a problem.

I used to run MythTV on a 32-bit P4 so I have a comparison.

cdenning

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2007, 11:45:39 pm »
Is there a LinuxMCE 64bit version?  If so does it also support two Dual Core AMD Processors?  Either way what software do you recommend for a HTPC system that is also going to be a software repository for my data files.

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2007, 12:36:17 am »
There is no 64 bit version of LinuxMCE available that I know of, but it does support multiple processors.  And it runs fine on AMD Dual Core, I haven't tried 2 though but I don't think that would be much of a problem unless Kubuntu doesn't support it.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

proza

• First post!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2007, 03:05:33 am »
OK I see a problem here.

For me it is not a matter of 64 over 32 bit for speed.  I can not even buy 32 bit hardware anymore.  If you have a 64bit cpu and install SUSE 10.? 64bit it will install and run 64 and 32 bit apps.  However (K)unbuntu comes in 32 or 64 bit and require the apps to be the same ...at least what I have seen and can be doing something wrong. SO HERE IS THE QUESTION :

If I have a PC running a AMD 64bit processor  and therefore per the Ubuntu website download page install the 64 bit version of the OS.  Which wants 64bit applications installed how do I install the 32bit LinuxMCE?  (maybe I am a newbie or just missing something simple) 

Any help here would be great.

Thanks

darrenmason

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2007, 05:19:15 am »
You will need to install the 32bit version of Kubuntu on your machine.

It will work fine.