Author Topic: Problems when compiling additional driver  (Read 6691 times)

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Problems when compiling additional driver
« on: August 19, 2005, 03:57:47 am »
I'm trying to compile a driver in order to use a USB Logitech QuickCam with Pluto.
I'm not a linux guru, but it seems to me that in Pluto kernel sources and headers are missing. In this situation I won't be able to compile anything.

According to uname -r kernel is 2.6.10-1-686, but related sources and headers are impossible to find.
I managed to get sources of 2.6.10, but still I'm missing headers.

Is there anyone that may help me telling me where I can find what I'm looking for?

Should sources and headers be strictly of the same release, or may I use some "nearly-the-same-version" combination?

Thanks in advance
Marco

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2005, 06:39:00 pm »
I'll have someone reply on Monday.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2005, 02:39:03 am »
Quote from: "aaron.b"
I'll have someone reply on Monday.

Was this resolved?  If so, what was the answer?

I would also like to hook up my Logitech WebCam...

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2005, 10:04:39 am »
We have the kernel sources in our repository, but not the kernel headers. To get it, type "apt-get install kernel-source-2.6.10". This will unpack an archive in /usr/src, which contains the kernel sources.

For the moment I can't give you precise instructions on how to do the extra changes you need as to compile your out-of-tree modules against those sources :? since I didn't succeed myself in reproducing on a test Core what we have on the server. I know that the kernel headers on our build server were derived from the sources somehow, because Debian wasn't proving kernel headers for 2.6.10 either, but I don't know (yet) how :?

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2005, 11:07:15 am »
Not yet on target, but I'm still hopefull ...

With the kernel sources/headers I found so far I've succeeded in compiling other stuff, but there are still problems in compiling the QuickCam driver.

I have the "dark focus ring" Quick Cam Pro, and the only driver I found is the nw802 (you can find it on sourceforge) that is mainly for 2.4 kernels but is also patched for 2.6.

The point is that it gives me a compile error  (no rules to make target 'QuickCam') that I cannot get rid of.

Maybe it's a trivial issue, due to the fact that I'm not that expert with linux, but nevertheless this is blocking my way so far.

I've googled around and the idea that I have now (that could be misleading anyway ..) is that  issue may be related to the fact that I have not the exact kernel source/headers/configuration that were used to compile the kernel that comes with Pluto.
Another option is that as I installed sources after building the box, maybe some environment vars or some symbolic link could be missing.

Any help in this is greatly welcome and appreciated.

@ dantelope
If you have tha same Quick Cam model we are in the same boat ... , otherwise things may be different.

This is anyway the first step, i.e. make linux "see" and use the camera.
Afterwards there is the problem to make Pluto using that camera, but this is a chapter of the story I didn't read yet ...

I know there is another guy that was trying to use a Quick Cam Pro 4000 with Pluto (he was already able to use the camera with motion in linux) but I don't know at what stage is the thing now. If you search this forum, the user nickname is tinia.

@ radu :
thanks for your reply.
this is what I've already done over the weekend, and that allowed me to compile other things. So my guess is that in the kernel-sources-2.6.10 package there are also the headers (or at least some of them) but I may be wrong.

There is anyway something that is still wrong, but so far I can't tell whether it's a "kernel source" issue or nw802 issue.

By the way, would it be possible to recompile the whole kernel with kernel-source-2.6.10 whithout breaking something with pluto?

And generally speaking, would it be possible to use different kernel versions (I'm thinking about 2.6.12) with pluto?

Thanks and regards
Marco

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2005, 12:36:00 pm »
Hi,

I have quick Cam Pro 4000 and compiled drivers by myself - but don't remember how (I needed pwc module)....

I can search PC and send you notes and binary module it that's what you need. I only remembered that I had a lot of problems compiling them...

Regards,

Rob.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2005, 09:24:02 am »
Hi Rob and thanks for your reply

Your notes may be certainly of great help to me, as I'm at a dead point.

Probably your driver (pwc) may not be much useful as I think my camera works only with nw802, but I'm pretty sure that your notes may help me to get rid of the compile message ' no rule to make target .....'.

I also guess that you managed to find a solution to missing kernel-headers package, that I think is one of the reasons why I cannot compile such driver.

Any other thing that prooved useful to make it work (additional hacking, magic formulas, woodoo ...) please le me know.

Thanks again and regards
Marco

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2005, 10:20:34 am »
Quote from: "MarcoZan"
Hi Rob and thanks for your reply

Your notes may be certainly of great help to me, as I'm at a dead point.

Probably your driver (pwc) may not be much useful as I think my camera works only with nw802, but I'm pretty sure that your notes may help me to get rid of the compile message ' no rule to make target .....'.

I also guess that you managed to find a solution to missing kernel-headers package, that I think is one of the reasons why I cannot compile such driver.

Any other thing that prooved useful to make it work (additional hacking, magic formulas, woodoo ...) please le me know.

Thanks again and regards
Marco

Hi,

my notes if they will be of any help (but I'm not sure if that worked or were there any additional things done....  :( )

Code: [Select]

apt-get install modules-assistant

#Compiling kernel modules

#In general, if you need to compile a kernel module from source, try module-assistant first.
# If you run a stock kernel, like me, then also install kernel-headers-XXX for your kernel.
#If the module sources have Debian packages, you may be able to do it entirely from the module-assistant UI.
#If they don't have Debian packages, then download the sources to /usr/src/modules/...,
#run module-assistant and select "PREPARE" to set up all your symlinks, and then "cd /usr/src/modules/some_module_xxx" and then "make install".

#kernel-image-2.6.10-1-686
apt-get install kernel-package
mkdir kernel
cd kernel
wget http://ftp.si.debian.org/debian/pool/main/k/kernel-source-2.6.10/kernel-source-2.6.10_2.6.10-5_all.deb
dpkg -i kernel-source-2.6.10_2.6.10-5_all.deb
cd /usr/src
tar jxvf kernel-source-2.6.10.tar.bz2
ln -s kernel-source-2.6.10 linux
wget http://www.saillard.org/linux/pwc/patches/linux-2.6.10-rc2_pwc-10.0.6.patch.bz2
cd linux
bzcat ../linux-2.6.10-rc2_pwc-10.0.6.patch.bz2 | patch -p1
cp /boot/config-2.6.10-1-686 ./.config

#mISDN
cd ..
export CVSROOT=:pserver:anonymous@cvs.isdn4linux.de:/i4ldev
cvs login
#Enter the CVS-password: „readonly“
cvs co mISDN mISDNUser <ENTER>
#After the completion of the download, you will find two new directories in “/usr/src”:
#• ./mISDN
#• ./mISDNuser
#© 2005 by beroNet technologies GmbH, Author: Thomas Häger
#Enter the directory „/usr/src/mISDN“, and execute the following script:
cd mISDN
./std2kern
cd ..

cd linux
make menuconfig

#Device Drivers
# ISDN Subsystem
###<M> ISDN Support
###<M> CAPI
#
### Modular ISDN Driver
#     <M> Support modular ISDN driver                                 ¦ ¦
#  ¦ ¦     [*]   Enable memory leak debug for mISDN                        ¦ ¦
#  ¦ ¦     [*]   Support for AVM Fritz!Cards                               ¦ ¦
#  ¦ ¦     [*]   Support for HFC PCI cards                                 ¦ ¦
#  ¦ ¦     [*]   Support for HFC multiport cards (HFC-4S/8S/E1)            ¦ ¦
#  ¦ ¦     [ ]     HFC multiport driver with memory mapped IO (NEW)        ¦ ¦
#  ¦ ¦     [ ]   Support for Sedlbauer Speedfax+ (NEW)                     ¦ ¦
#  ¦ ¦     [ ]   Support for Winbond 6692 based cards (NEW)                ¦ ¦
#  ¦ ¦     [*]   Digital Audio Processing of transparent data              ¦ ¦
#  ¦ ¦                                                      

make menuconfig
make dep
#sets all the kernel dependecies
make clean
#removes un-needed files
# make bzImage
#builds the kernel. This takes some time, on my machine it took half an hour. It gives me the message that kernel is 825 kb what I find still rather big. I guess with the help of some real linux-experts we could make it smaller. On the other I almost use no modules what makes that this kernel can not be very small but it should boot faster...
# make
# make install
#installs, move and renames all the needed files and updates lilo

make modules
#builds all the kernel modules
make modules_install

cp drivers/usb/media/pwc/pwc.ko /lib/modules/2.6.10-1-686/kernel/drivers/usb/media/pwc.ko

cd ..

HTH,

regards,

Rob.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2005, 11:03:56 am »
Thanks so much Rob

I'll definitely give it a try and I will let you know.

BTW, I've started a new thread that you may find interesting -> http://plutohome.com/support/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?p=1084#1084

If you happen to read it I would like to know your ideas on that.

Bye
Marco

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2005, 07:44:51 pm »
Finally I was able to compile the drivers for my Logitech "Dark focus Ring" QuickCam, and I'm currently able to get pictures out of it.

Now I would like to make it working as a surveillance camera in Pluto.

From what I know Pluto does not have a proper template to manage usb cameras, but I know that Tinia/Rob was working on some modification in order to make it work.

Rob, if you are reading this, did you get your USB camera working with Pluto?

If so, may you kindly give me some info on how to do it?

Thanks and regards
Marco

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2005, 09:38:01 pm »
Quote from: "MarcoZan"
Finally I was able to compile the drivers for my Logitech "Dark focus Ring" QuickCam, and I'm currently able to get pictures out of it.

Now I would like to make it working as a surveillance camera in Pluto.

From what I know Pluto does not have a proper template to manage usb cameras, but I know that Tinia/Rob was working on some modification in order to make it work.

Rob, if you are reading this, did you get your USB camera working with Pluto?

If so, may you kindly give me some info on how to do it?

Thanks and regards
Marco

Hi,

I have two usb cameras working for quite some time now...
Why? Cause drivers for usb cameras create normal v4l device (/dev/videoX) - same as analog capture video card would do....

Two most important parameters are :

Device(string) 8 Device Number of /dev/videoX
Port/Channel Number(int) 0 Port Number on the capture device (0 is the first

I'm also sure that adding cameras is written in some howto from Pluto, but not sure where...

I'm glad to help, so feel free to ask... There are some minor things that now should be done with motion detection - we'll add alarm triggering to cameras, so motion detection should be as realiable as possible.... This mainly concerns filters, that can be used for outdoor surveillance....

HTH,

Rob.