Author Topic: installing just the orbiter on an existing linux box?  (Read 4011 times)

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
installing just the orbiter on an existing linux box?
« on: October 01, 2007, 04:23:59 am »
Is there a way to install just the orbiter on a linux box? similar to the windows orbiter package? Just curious. I currently use the web orbiter on my existing ubuntu linux desktop, and that works for now, but I was just curious.

-Thom

darrenmason

• Addicted
    • View Profile
Re: installing just the orbiter on an existing linux box?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2007, 08:43:57 am »
I have not tried to install the Orbiter package but it may work (once you also install all the dependencies).
I guess if you add the repository and use apt-get you might have some success?

A while back (using Pluto, not linuxMCE) I compiled a local version under Ubuntu but did not have much success and couldn't really be bothered debugging it.
What I did get running was actually running the Windows version under Wine (yes I know this sounds a bit stupid - running a windows version of linux software on linux under a windows emulator)

Let us know how you get on. It would be handy to have an Orbiter running on my Desktop.

Darren

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2007, 09:51:17 am »
I have not tried to install the Orbiter package but it may work (once you also install all the dependencies).
I guess if you add the repository and use apt-get you might have some success?

A while back (using Pluto, not linuxMCE) I compiled a local version under Ubuntu but did not have much success and couldn't really be bothered debugging it.
What I did get running was actually running the Windows version under Wine (yes I know this sounds a bit stupid - running a windows version of linux software on linux under a windows emulator)

Let us know how you get on. It would be handy to have an Orbiter running on my Desktop.

Darren

Hi Darren,

I don't think would be too difficult at all... and its an idea that I am surprised has not come to life before!

If you think about it the Orbiter is running fine on the Nokia N770 & 800... essentially these are Debian based so much would be the same I would guess. Nite_man did the work on this so he would be a good person to have a chat with to get a handle on the issues etc.

Andrew
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2007, 01:41:06 pm »
darrenmason, how did you get the orbiter package out of the msi for the windows version?

-Thom

darrenmason

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2007, 01:17:23 am »
Initially I located the exe from an already installed version on a mounted Windows drive and ran that.

But I am pretty sure I also ran the installer from the web admin front page and Wine recognised it as a windows program. I will have to try it again though - it was few months ago.

darrenmason

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2007, 01:21:32 am »

I don't think would be too difficult at all... and its an idea that I am surprised has not come to life before!

If you think about it the Orbiter is running fine on the Nokia N770 & 800... essentially these are Debian based so much would be the same I would guess. Nite_man did the work on this so he would be a good person to have a chat with to get a handle on the issues etc.

Andrew

I am sure it can be done, even at worst it should be able to be compiled locally and run.
The windows one sort of has a launcher program (as does the Nokia 770 one). This would be useful I guess.