Author Topic: Cannot add media :o( (SOLVED)  (Read 4414 times)

mbgm8ndb

• View Profile
Cannot add media :o( (SOLVED)
« on: September 28, 2007, 01:00:36 pm »
Hi,
I've installed Linux MCE from the DVD and it all seems to be working ok. If I put in a CD it plays the music, if I put in a DVD it plays the film.

I am having trouble getting any media onto the computer. when I add an external HD. It recognises it and says it has added it, but I cant browse the drive to get media off it. I also cannot extract music from CD's etc so I have no way of adding media.

Has any one had any similar problems?

Regards,

MBGM8
« Last Edit: October 01, 2007, 09:36:07 pm by mbgm8ndb »

Stingly

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Cannot add media :o(
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2007, 01:06:56 pm »
Is it connected to your machine or is it a network drive?

Hagen

• Guru
  • LMCE wannabe user
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2007, 02:57:27 pm »
You don't "add media" in the MS fashion, LMCE adds media that's available to it.

Did you chose "Use the LMCE folder structure" or "make all content public"?
If you chose the LMCE folder structure (recommended) you have to move your existing media into it's appropriate folder, any new media (CD or DVD rip and recorded TV shows) will go there automatically, but existing files has to be moved.

If the media is not in the LMCE folders (for example "public/data/audio" and "user1/data/video") then it's not "available" to LMCE and it woun't be added.

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2007, 04:22:54 pm »
And you might also want to look under: Files & Media > Media Files Sync in the web admin.  Browse through the tree on the left to see if you find any files/directories under "audio" or "video", maybe that will tell you a bit more about what is actually going on.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

wortmanb

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2007, 04:44:32 pm »
In my case, I have two internal drives both set up as use-at-will and both containing the default directory structure.

If, for example, I go to /home/public/data/pictures using nthe Media Files Sync page, the right-hand panel shows sda1 and flickr as being both on disk and in the database, but sdb2 is only showing on disk.  No amount of trying to resynch has resulted in any files from it being found.  It's also missing from data/videos and data/audio even though it contains these directories and has files in each.

What am I missing?  Thanks!

mbgm8ndb

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2007, 07:17:57 pm »
Thanks for all the replies, sorry I have not got back sooner.

Stingly: It is a USB hard disk, which contains all my media, and it is connected direct to the computer. I can browse it from the KDE desktop, but cant see any of the media on it from LinuxMCE.

Hagen: I think i chose 'make all content public' although i chose another drive also and picked 'Use the LMCE folder structure' and neither seem to give me access to any of my media through MCE  :'(

Zaerc: Thanks, I had a little look in Files & Media > Media Files Sync in the web admin, and couldnot see any media, I will have another play around in the Web Admin, and see if I can gt it to work.

Thanks again guys, I will post any updates, and let you know how I get on.

Regards,

Mbgm8

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2007, 09:35:02 pm »
Stingly: It is a USB hard disk, which contains all my media, and it is connected direct to the computer. I can browse it from the KDE desktop, but cant see any of the media on it from LinuxMCE.

Maybe the problem is that it's mounted by KDE, that could prevent LMCE from finding it automaticly I think.  Try unmounting it and wait to see if LMCE picks up on it.  Another problem I have seen people talk about on the forum is NTFS formatted drives...
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

mbgm8ndb

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2007, 11:35:59 pm »
Thanks Zaerc,
It was NFTS, but I also tried it with a FAT32 memory stick with no joy! I will try unmounting the drive and see what happens.

Cheers,

Mbgm8

mbgm8ndb

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2007, 09:35:14 pm »
ok i added all the media to a FAT32 drive, picked the linux file system, and it is currntly copying many Gb of music to my media centre.

Thanks for you help guys.

Regards,

Mbgm8