Author Topic: Wireless Setup  (Read 4692 times)

mankyd

• View Profile
Wireless Setup
« on: September 30, 2007, 07:22:31 am »
I was able to make my wireless card connect by hand (using KNetworkManager to enter in WPA settings) but it would be great if LinuxMCE could have walked me through this process. Furthermore, I am having trouble making the wireless reconnect after reboot (I have to enter in all the settings by hand again.) Seems like this is something the installer should take care of.

Hagen

• Guru
  • LMCE wannabe user
    • View Profile
Re: Wireless Setup
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2007, 04:01:55 pm »
go into the webadmin (advanced/device settings and chose core in the left pane) (after you have set the wlan) and check if the card is listed in the box at the bottom (ra1)
If it is not, then add it (you can pick up the syntax from the other NICs listed) but it goes like this
ra1,dhcp,255.255.255.0,10.0.0.1,10.0.0.1|eth0,10.0.0.100,255.255.255.0,10.0.0.1,10.0.0.1|eth0:0,10.0.0.10,255.255.255.0,10.0.0.1

Green text is the gateway (10.0.0.1 is the gateway for me)
Red text is the assigned IP, DHCP specifies that this NIC get's it's IP from the DHCP
255.255.255.0 is the subnet

If you have to add the card, be sure to save. then setup the car in KDE (again), then reboot

Hagen

• Guru
  • LMCE wannabe user
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2007, 04:25:01 pm »
ooops, this is ofcourse if the card is on the core, but I assumed it was.

mankyd

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2007, 05:43:08 pm »
Hi Hagen, thanks for the feedback. I guess I should have been more specific. Its the WPA2 settings that I am having trouble with; the network settings themselves a DHCP and work fine. My network requires a WPA2-PSK. It would have been nice is the installation process had 1) asked me if I wanted to connect to a wireless network and 2) asked me for the encryption settings to connect with.

Hagen

• Guru
  • LMCE wannabe user
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2007, 08:42:48 pm »
I made it work with WPA2 in the manner described above...
LMCE does a bit of "settings overwriting", and I got around that (somehow), but I dropped the wireless for reliability reasons shortly after.

GamerAyers

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2007, 12:03:45 am »
I agree completely.  It would be nice if the installation detected all network cards, wireless and wired, and also USB modems (for cable modems and DSL modems).  Then allowed you to select, during installation, which network card(s) you wanted for internet, if you wanted to merge 2 internet connections, and which one(s) you wanted for internal connections, so you can have 1 wired and 1 wireless or 1 802.11b/g/n, 1 802.11a, and 1 wired.  This would give much more flexibility.  Granted, there will have to be certain Okayed wireless cards for use with the access point installation, but I know I would be very happy to select one of those cards and be able to use my server as an access point.  I have had more troubles with wireless routers, and this would seem to be a good solution.  (how else will I get my nintendo DS, PSP, pocket pc and 2 laptops to access the internet around the house with this as my only server???)