Author Topic: What are you using for large storage?  (Read 4115 times)

tpboyce

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
What are you using for large storage?
« on: September 30, 2007, 06:56:33 am »
I am contemplating solutions for large storage...

1)  unRaid from Lime Technology
2)  Adding large drives to the Core
3)  ReadyNAS from Netgear
4)  Linux server with raid and shares
5)  freeNAS
6)  Other

Any thoughts??

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Re: What are you using for large storage?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2007, 06:42:33 pm »
I would suggest adding the Buffalo NAS solutions there as well, as they work out of the box with minimal effort.

-Thom

DeadPenguin

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2007, 06:50:11 pm »
I want the Ready NAS I just don't have the $1500.
I am leaning towards a Linksys/Cisco NSLU2. i already have a couple externals I could plug right into it.
I am still in the process of getting my network setting straight in LinuxMCE so its not seeing my WD Netcenter.( I wouldn't recommend the NetCenter I have had nothing but bad experiences with mine)

rwilson131

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2007, 05:42:20 am »
I have been using the FreeNAS software and I have been very please considering it was FREE.

Thanks,
Rob

golgoj4

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • hrumpf!
    • View Profile
    • Mah Website
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2007, 11:33:44 pm »
I would suggest adding the Buffalo NAS solutions there as well, as they work out of the box with minimal effort.

-Thom

Im using one 'out of the box' and almost a day later it is still NOT working... I dont mean to complain but the lite documentation combined with problems every step of the way is beginning to make me re-think linuxMCE.

I have been reading the forums here for quite a while now, but I never imagined I would have a problem so simple as adding storage.  :-\

Are you using a Buffalo Storage NAS device? If so, what steps did you take to set it up?

I
-Plugged it into the network right after I opened it up.
-MCE noticed and wanted to setup sharing for the 'file server' 1st and the 'share' 2nd.
-Then, no files appear. No matter what. It refuses to look at the directory. Seems like an access issue? It seems to interpret the directory name AS the file and tries to play that.

Any Ideas
« Last Edit: October 21, 2007, 11:39:34 pm by golgoj4 »
Linuxmce - Where everyone is never wrong, but we are always behind xbmc in the media / ui department.

golgoj4

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • hrumpf!
    • View Profile
    • Mah Website
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2007, 11:52:17 pm »
yeah so because either im running on little sleep or some other cosmic reason, i figured out MY issues after my snarky post.

The hang was that linuxMCE was looking for a password that it didnt ask for. For some reason even though it detected the buffalo NAS device, it didnt ask for a password, yet when I went into the 'Devices' and said uses password and supplied the credentials, its working beautifully now.

Now if I had only figured this out last night...
Linuxmce - Where everyone is never wrong, but we are always behind xbmc in the media / ui department.