Author Topic: MD won't boot after 2.0.0.28 upgrade  (Read 3884 times)

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
MD won't boot after 2.0.0.28 upgrade
« on: August 29, 2005, 10:25:22 am »
After upgrading to 0.28 I have a very strange error when trying to boot my disless MD.

Everything appears to run fine until Pluto_Server.sh script are executed.

At this stage some error messages appear, saying that MD version and Core version are different, and MD won't boot until version will match.

Those messages claim that Core version is 2.0.0.28 while MD version is 2.0.0.28-05082614.
They also suggest to reboot Core in order to have it also upgraded, and then start again everything.

I've rebooted many times Core and MD but no result.

Then I made the following:
    cleared MAC address on existing MD device in Pluto Admin
    created a new MD with same MAC but different IP
    clicked on Setup Diskless Media Director and Update buttons
    rebooted Core in order to make sure that everything was properly rebuild

On startup MD was assigned the new IP, but stopped exactly at the same stage as before showing the same error messages.

I have to say that yesterday I added to apt-get sources an official debian repository to fix some dependecies issue with libxine1, and after that a lot of updates were dowloaded (around 180 Mb).

May some of these "official" updates have broken something with Pluto?

For me it is not a big problem to clean up the box and start from scratch with a new installation (it's a test box .. so far), but before doing that I would like to understand what went wrong and whether updates are involved.

The reason is simple. I was thinking to set up a Debian box with everything up-to-date and possibly recompiling the kernel in order to make some optimization.
On top of this I would like to install a Pluto hybrid, set up a diskless MD and so on.

If the "official updates" are the reason of the failure on my existing Pluto system (that now comes out of Kick Start CD), then probably I won't have many chances to make it work on a custom installed Debian box.

Can someone give me some info and help on this?

Thanks and regards
Marco

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Re: MD won't boot after 2.0.0.28 upgrade
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2005, 04:27:51 pm »
This is caused by one of the Pluto scripts not thinking the system has been upgraded.

A quick fix for this is to edit the name of your Pluto-Version file so that it reflects the update to 28.

Quote from: "MarcoZan"
After upgrading to 0.28 I have a very strange error when trying to boot my disless MD.

At this stage some error messages appear, saying that MD version and Core version are different, and MD won't boot until version will match.

Those messages claim that Core version is 2.0.0.28 while MD version is 2.0.0.28-05082614.
They also suggest to reboot Core in order to have it also upgraded, and then start again everything.

On startup MD was assigned the new IP, but stopped exactly at the same stage as before showing the same error messages.

I have to say that yesterday I added to apt-get sources an official debian repository to fix some dependecies issue with libxine1, and after that a lot of updates were dowloaded (around 180 Mb).

For me it is not a big problem to clean up the box and start from scratch with a new installation (it's a test box .. so far), but before doing that I would like to understand what went wrong and whether updates are involved.

The reason is simple. I was thinking to set up a Debian box with everything up-to-date and possibly recompiling the kernel in order to make some optimization.
On top of this I would like to install a Pluto hybrid, set up a diskless MD and so on.

If the "official updates" are the reason of the failure on my existing Pluto system (that now comes out of Kick Start CD), then probably I won't have many chances to make it work on a custom installed Debian box.

Thanks and regards
Marco

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Re: MD won't boot after 2.0.0.28 upgrade
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2005, 04:49:53 pm »
Hi,

My last post was incorrect. You need to edit the contents of the following file not its name!;

home/Pluto-Version.sh

It should contain the string; 2.0.0.28

Alternatively if you re-boot your core it should pickup a script update that fixes this bug anyway.

Andrew

Thanks and regards
Marco

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2005, 09:38:40 pm »
Hi Andrew,

I modified the pluto-version file and this did the trick.

Thanks a lot for your support

Regards
Marco

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2005, 10:59:19 pm »
Hi Marco,

Thats great. Glad to be of help.

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

I modified the pluto-version file and this did the trick.

Thanks a lot for your support

Regards
Marco