Author Topic: What is better Live DVD or the 2 CD's?  (Read 7890 times)

fearingsept

• Guru
    • View Profile
What is better Live DVD or the 2 CD's?
« on: September 27, 2007, 04:49:48 pm »
Just wondering if there is any major difference in the end result when using the Live DVD vs the 2 CD's. Is there any benefit or drawback to using one or the other?
Core: Broken :(

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
Re: What is better Live DVD or the 2 CD's?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2007, 05:04:32 pm »
In short: the DVD is usually a lot quicker but uses up the whole drive, the CDs give you more control like partitioning the drive and creating an initial Kubuntu user other then "linuxmce".
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

balyho0o

• View Profile
    • Flipout Design
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2007, 06:42:42 pm »
I tried several times to install using the CD's but with no luck. :'( I kept running into errors of missing libraries as well as other issues. I finally got wise and tried the DVD approach which worked out well. Installed on the first try. So if you have the option, go for the DVD approach.

elboy0712

• Veteran
    • View Profile
my experiance has been opposite
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2007, 07:41:23 pm »
DVD would not configure my network connection and a couple of little details ... but cds worked well .... seems to be dependent on your set up .... try one if it doesnt work try the other

eloy

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2007, 03:39:02 pm »
DVD install assumed that I wanted to have a hybrid on the machine I was installing. With the CD install I was asked whether I wanted to use the machine as the core only or as a hybrid.

To me it seems like the DVD install is for a plug and play installation with minimum hassle. The CD installation may be a bit more tedious but gives you more control over the install process.

DeadPenguin

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2007, 06:44:41 pm »
I really like the DVD install. As stated above it is a lot faster. I wish there was a way to choose Core or core/hybrid. I also wish it gave you some say in the network setup. The cd install gives more control it just takes a LONG time.(for me at least it did)

mbgm8ndb

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2007, 07:19:13 pm »
I think the install DVD is better, much much faster.
Mbgm8

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2007, 09:37:36 pm »
I tried several times to install using the CD's but with no luck. :'( I kept running into errors of missing libraries as well as other issues. I finally got wise and tried the DVD approach which worked out well. Installed on the first try. So if you have the option, go for the DVD approach.
That is usually caused by not properly folowing the instructions and mixing incompatible versions of (K)Ubuntu and LMCE.
-- Anonymous

balyho0o

• View Profile
    • Flipout Design
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2007, 01:52:50 am »
That is usually caused by not properly folowing the instructions and mixing incompatible versions of (K)Ubuntu and LMCE.
I did closely follow the instructions but it is entirely possible that I missed something. I started with a fresh install of kubuntu as to avoid any conflicts as per the documentation. The install bitched about something different on each attempt and just died. Leaving me to start over with a fresh install of kubuntu and begin again.

Just adding my experience to the discussion.

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2007, 03:16:53 am »
I did closely follow the instructions but it is entirely possible that I missed something. I started with a fresh install of kubuntu as to avoid any conflicts as per the documentation. The install bitched about something different on each attempt and just died. Leaving me to start over with a fresh install of kubuntu and begin again.

Just adding my experience to the discussion.
Maybe the install DVD is more suitable for you, btw. did you check the MD5sums on the ISOs?
-- Anonymous

balyho0o

• View Profile
    • Flipout Design
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2007, 10:29:07 am »
did you check the MD5sums on the ISOs
I did. Admittedly not until the second go around but yes I did.

marv2097

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
    • Reesmarine
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2007, 04:58:37 pm »
I tried a few times with the DVD but could not get it to work. It installed kububtu, then wouldnt reboot properly. It seems its a known issue with certain hardware.

I then opted for the using a kubuntu disk and then the 2 LMCE CDs which worked perfectly.
Hybrid: Shuttle P4 3Ghz - 1GB DDR RAM - 750 GB PATA HD - Nvida 7300 GT AGP (UI2alpha) - 1 NIC

DeadPenguin

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2007, 07:18:49 am »
I had a bad burn the first time I tried the dvd. (took me a damn long time to figure out.) :-[