Author Topic: [SOLVED] Existing NAS Media?  (Read 17320 times)

Stingly

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Existing NAS Media?
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2007, 01:38:59 pm »
Yeah, the "two" devices are both on different internal IPs - I think that the MSS-0209FF device is discovered on 192.168.80.252 and the Maxtor NAS is on 192.168.80.253 (or vice versa). So I just tell LMCE to ignore the second one then? OK.

Hagen

• Guru
  • LMCE wannabe user
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2007, 01:41:40 pm »
that's what I did, it may not be the "ultimate sollution", but it works for me.
You can always unlock it later from the webadmin if you did an Ooooops

Stingly

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2007, 04:13:03 pm »
Right then - I unlocked everything and deleted the 2 Maxtor devices, then restarted the core. I installed the MSS-0209FF device, ignored the config fileshare, installed the public fileshare, and told LMCE to use its own directory structure. I also ignored the Maxtor NAS device.

Now when I go into the Media > File Sync screens, theres another option called "Windows Share: Public" or something like that in each of the data subtrees (i.e. video, audio etc), with 0Mb in each. In the video subtree, I chose LMCE Video Files from the dropdown menu, and clicked add to database - I did the same in the audio subtree (except chose LMCE Audio Files).

It hasn't generated any folders on the drive, so I went into the Public share (from Vista) and created /data/audio and copied a folder full of MP3s into it. So now my NAS directory tree looks like:

\Public\data\audio\Artic Monkeys\ [mp3 files]

I cant change the first folder name, but I don't know if the uppercase 'P' is stumping LMCE? Something is though, cos its not discovering any MP3 files... I tried to rip a CD to the NAS, was allowed to choose the NAS drive but ripping it failed. It couldn't create the specified subdirectory. Do you think that might be to do with user permissions or something like that? Or have a done it all wrong?

I have no idea what I'm doing here, I just feel like I'm flailing round in the dark... I also discovered a username and password box in the MSS-0209FF device area on the webadmin site, so have put in the admin u&p for the hard drive, which I haven't had to do before for any reason, but I thought it couldn't hurt.

Are there any logs or anything that I could look at and post on here so someone can isolate whats going wrong?  ??? ??? ???

Hagen

• Guru
  • LMCE wannabe user
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2007, 04:48:33 pm »
Mine looks like this
Z:\Media\public\data\audio\Aqua\MP3s
(I chose to use the share "Media" instead of the root)
Probably the capital P...
But since it didn't create public (as it should, Public is obviously wrong) then there could be some read write access problems as well?
Do a search on the NAS for "public" or "user1" to see if they are created in some other weird place, shouldn't happen, but...

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2007, 05:01:25 pm »
All (or at least most) of the logs can be found under /var/log where pluto has it's own subdirectory.  I don't know which one you'd have to look in specificly though.  To keep track of them all and see the new entries you could try:
Code: [Select]
tail -f /var/log/pluto/*
That can be a bit overwhelming, but could give you an idea what logfile you are looking for.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

Stingly

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2007, 07:51:13 pm »
Do a search on the NAS for "public" or "user1" to see if they are created in some other weird place, shouldn't happen, but...

Ok, noob questions: how do I do a search? Where are the NAS folder in Linux?

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2007, 09:23:22 pm »
I still have that, and it's been a couple of weeks since my last install.
I haven't really been bothered, as I haven't had time to do much with the LMCE at all.
Paul did say the last update should have fixed it, but not for me apparently.

Hmm so much for that hypothesis then, has the machine been on the whole time?

Ok, noob questions: how do I do a search? Where are the NAS folder in Linux?

I think he meant: look on the NAS itself.  I suspect you're having permission problems too, there should be some instructions on the forum somewhere to create a proper user account on the NAS that has the right permissions I think.
-- Anonymous

Stingly

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2007, 01:01:01 am »
Did a search, but found nothing untoward... This is a bit strange though - in the webadmin media file sync bit I can see this:

Do I need to do anything here? The videos, pictures etc lists all have the same 2 items in them? Whats really odd is that when I ssh into the /home/public/data/audio directory, I can see that it has made 2 alias (I presume) files, but when you go to the address they refer to, theres no directory. In fact, theres nothing below /mnt/device:

Sorry for the images, but I'm sure that my terminology is wrong!

I can only think of file permissions, but the Public share has everything opened up for all users, so LMCE should surely have no problem creating whatever directories it feels like?

Stingly

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2007, 01:06:58 am »
...Just found this in /var/log/syslog:

Code: [Select]
linuxmce@dcerouter:/var/log$ tail syslog
Sep 27 23:49:20 dcerouter automount[8735]: >> Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g.man mount.cifs)
Sep 27 23:49:20 dcerouter automount[8735]: mount(generic): failed to mount //192.168.80.253/Brian (type cifs) on /mnt/device/38
Sep 27 23:49:20 dcerouter automount[8735]: failed to mount /mnt/device/38
Sep 27 23:49:21 dcerouter kernel: [16834.580839]  CIFS VFS: Send error in SessSetup = -13
Sep 27 23:49:21 dcerouter kernel: [16834.710877]  CIFS VFS: cifs_mount failed w/return code = -13
Sep 27 23:49:21 dcerouter automount[8846]: >> mount error 13 = Permission denied
Sep 27 23:49:21 dcerouter automount[8846]: >> Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g.man mount.cifs)
Sep 27 23:49:21 dcerouter automount[8846]: mount(generic): failed to mount //192.168.80.253/Public (type cifs) on /mnt/device/37
Sep 27 23:49:21 dcerouter automount[8846]: failed to mount /mnt/device/37
Sep 27 23:50:01 dcerouter /USR/SBIN/CRON[9391]: (root) CMD (/usr/pluto/bin/StorageDevices_Radar.sh)

So its failing to mount - yes? Any ideas?

Stingly

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2007, 02:07:32 am »
Ooo - I think I might have sorted it! Followed the instructions here:

http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=1694.msg7919#msg7919

and manually added the NAS share - I can only assume its working cos when I resynced the media I now get a VERY big list of the files its detecting. I'm gonna leave it overnight and report in the morning!  ;D

Stingly

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2007, 10:55:27 am »
Well that seems to have kinda worked! It populated my audio media list in LMCE at any rate, I had a quick check this morning before leaving for work - so hardly an in-depth analysis this - thing is, there are no images for any of the album art, even though when I ripped my CDs (through windows) I got the artwork for each one and the JPG files sit in the same directory?

The other thing I noticed is that despite the files being there, I can't hear anything when I play them. I haven't tried anything yet to fix this, but I wondered if it was a common problem?

Hagen

• Guru
  • LMCE wannabe user
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2007, 11:16:35 am »
The coverart is embedded in "Ac-3" tags, and currently LMCE does not read those.
I agree that should be added.

Stingly

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2007, 04:15:21 pm »
The other thing I noticed is that despite the files being there, I can't hear anything when I play them. I haven't tried anything yet to fix this, but I wondered if it was a common problem?

Duh - I'm such an idiot! Had the headphones plugged into the wrong socket! Everything seems to be working perfectly now! Woohoo!  ::)

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2007, 04:33:38 pm »
Duh - I'm such an idiot! Had the headphones plugged into the wrong socket! Everything seems to be working perfectly now! Woohoo!  ::)

LOL, glad to hear it's fixed.
-- Anonymous

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2007, 06:34:09 pm »
The coverart is embedded in "Ac-3" tags, and currently LMCE does not read those.
I agree that should be added.

Well thats not quite correct... it does not read the embedded cover art thats true but;

The data collected about each ripped file is stored in 'id3' tags. Currently this data is stored in user defined tags that 3rd party applications would not know about ie they are tags defined by lmce. In the case of mp3 files ripped by another app then if that app has embedded the cover art in the mp3 tag data then at present lmce will not look for that.

I understand that standard id3 tags will be used in future and that embedded cover art will be extracted to.
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk