Author Topic: Install Woes  (Read 3341 times)

nivenj

• View Profile
Install Woes
« on: October 01, 2007, 03:24:57 pm »
Hi all,

Ive been trying to install LinuxMCE in VMware with varying degrees of success over the last few days. I'm Using kubuntu-7.04-desktop-i386.iso, LinuxMCE_0704_CD1[1].iso and LinuxMCE_0704_CD1[2].iso.

I was getting various errors along the way, segmentation faults, mysql failing to start...actually, just about everything that everyone has been mentioning at one point or another in these forums. I'm currently on attempt 5 and this time I have copied all the media to the hardrive so the installer doesnt cache the CD's. Fingers crossed, but it certainaly looks as though its going further than it has in the past.

I'll come back and let you all know the result.

NB, anyone know how to install vmware tools on an kubuntu desktop install. When i try and install it keeps asking for the path to the C Header files, however im fairly sure the src isnt installed using the image I installed with....any ideas?

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
Re: Install Woes
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2007, 04:30:51 pm »
Did you check the md5sums on the ISOs before burning?
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

b-ran

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2007, 07:32:00 pm »
When I tried to install from CD's I was getting errors as well, but this wasn't a vmware solution. The md5 checked out as well. I would get a disc cashe failure when copying and if it didn't then I would get errors down the line. Copying the ISO's to the HD seems to be the only way that I get get through an install.

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2007, 09:30:35 pm »
When I tried to install from CD's I was getting errors as well, but this wasn't a vmware solution. The md5 checked out as well. I would get a disc cashe failure when copying and if it didn't then I would get errors down the line. Copying the ISO's to the HD seems to be the only way that I get get through an install.
Sounds like a bad drive or burner, best to always burn important things at a lower speed and let the burning sofware verify it afterwards.

But using the ISO's directly from the harddrive is a lot faster anyway.  I only burn the Kubuntu CD and still keep the ISO for the lmce installer.  That literally saves me hours.
-- Anonymous

nivenj

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2007, 11:53:17 pm »
Yep, checksums were fine. I didnt burn them though, just mounted the iso's as the CDROM in vmware.

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2007, 12:38:44 am »
Strange, I have installed it myself that way.  And I didn't have those problems.  You're not using the installer downloaded from the website are you? (just grasping straws there).
-- Anonymous