Author Topic: [SOLVED] Existing NAS Media?  (Read 17323 times)

Stingly

• Veteran
    • View Profile
[SOLVED] Existing NAS Media?
« on: September 26, 2007, 10:04:30 pm »
Two problems down (ish), heres another one that I need some help with please!

I have a Maxtor NAS attached to the internal network (192.168.80.*) which LMCE picked up fine - good start! It then proceeds to pick up the 2 shares on the drive, 1 which I ignored as its full of config data and nothing else, and the other which I added as it has subdirectories containing a LOT of ripped audio (all MP3s) and video files (mainly divx AVI's). So far so good.

My problem arises when I come to actually view some of the content on the NAS. LMCE hasn't populated any of the media lists, so when I click on video I can only see the sample ripped DVD that I've been playing with during install - and theres nothing at all in the audio one! How do I get LMCE to fill these lists? I thought that it would scan the NAS and add the files automatically?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2007, 04:15:47 pm by Stingly »

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
Re: Existing NAS Media?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2007, 10:58:33 pm »
If you chose to "use LMCE's directory structure" you'll need to put the files under /public/data/video etc.

The database should be updated every few minutes I think, you can force this in the web-admin under: Files & Media > Media Files Sync.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

Stingly

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2007, 11:03:13 pm »
Hmmmm... I chose the other option as it said that it was best for drives that had existing media and was used by Windows too (my main machine that uses the drive runs Vista).

When I go to Files & Media > Media Files Sync I see a blank screen with a tree file system down the left panel. Where do I navigate to to resync the NAS?

God I hate feeling so dum - hope I get to grips with LMCE soon so I can stop posing such noob questions!  ;)

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2007, 11:12:44 pm »
Don't worry about it, we've all been there.  Just take the time to look around, get used to the way things work and you'll be answering those questions soon enough. ;)

If you chose one of the other options you shouldn't have to move anything around.  to update the DB click "[data]" on the left and the "resynchronize" on the right.  By going through the tree on the left you should also be able to find your files and see their status, just be patient as the page updates can take a little while.
-- Anonymous

Stingly

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2007, 11:28:49 pm »
OK, clicked on data -> resync - is that going to sync the NAS too? It looks like it just does the HDD in the Core? I got a nice new window that said:

Code: [Select]
sudo -u root /usr/pluto/bin/UpdateMedia -d "/home/public/data"

01 09/26/07 22:01:04.155 Cannot find self in maplock! (0x80b07b4) (>2) alarm: AlarmManager.cpp:102  <0xb6b2cb90>
ready to dump locks using logger: 0x80b0858
05 09/26/07 22:01:04.155 Dumping 1 locks <0xb6b2cb90>
05 09/26/07 22:01:04.155 finished check for exceptions <0xb6b2cb90>
05 09/26/07 22:01:04.155 OL: (0x80b07b4) (>1) alarm AlarmManager.cpp l:87 time: 10:01:04p (0 s) thread: 3065173712 Rel: Y Got: Y <0xb6b2cb90>

One thing I have noticed is a little red flashing square in the top-left of the LMCE list screens every now and again - what does that mean? Also, I keep getting an alert message popup telling me that "existing device already enabled MSS 0209FF" (which is my NAS name), followed by "done with new file server added", or something like that. Why does it keep doing that? Lastly, in my shared folders on the NAS there are loads of subfolders that contain the actual music/video files - thats not going to stump LMCE is it? I assume its scans subfolders for media too?

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2007, 12:31:27 am »
A lot of people have reported the issue of continual re-detecting devices with that message in the corner (including me!).

Zaerc - do you know if anybody ever got to the bottom of this one? Its really annoying, and it can't be helping matters...

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2007, 02:08:28 am »
A lot of people have reported the issue of continual re-detecting devices with that message in the corner (including me!).

Zaerc - do you know if anybody ever got to the bottom of this one? Its really annoying, and it can't be helping matters...

To be perfectly honest, I don't know, but I have seen it too and for me it goes away after a while.  When it happened I had a feeling that the system is still busy setting things up, or maybe indexing the content. 

Could anybody that is experiencing that problem please report back on it after a few days?  Maybe then we can rule it out as a symptom of the system getting settled.  I think most people (like me) forget about it as soon as it passes, that could also be why it has never been solved.
-- Anonymous

Hagen

• Guru
  • LMCE wannabe user
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2007, 11:11:30 am »
I still have that, and it's been a couple of weeks since my last install.
I haven't really been bothered, as I haven't had time to do much with the LMCE at all.
Paul did say the last update should have fixed it, but not for me apparently.

bulek

• Administrator
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
  • Living with LMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2007, 11:47:33 am »
I also have same problem. Files play fine, but I cannot snyhronize it. Funny is that sometimes doing the same from console gives different results but more or less ends in that maplock error....

HTH,

regards,

Bulek.
Thanks in advance,

regards,

Bulek.

Stingly

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2007, 11:56:43 am »
Well I can't even find my files, or the NAS, despite LMCE telling me that the shares have been installed etc. They're certainly not appearing in the Media > Audio or Media > Video lists through the UI, and when I go through the Web Admin bit to Files and Media, I can't see any new files anywhere!

If I remove the device, redetect it, and tell it to use LMCE's directory structure, will it remove any files from the NAS? Also, if I do that, will I be able to see the files I put into the newly created /public/data/video folders from a Windows PC?

Hagen

• Guru
  • LMCE wannabe user
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2007, 12:19:40 pm »
You can create the folder structure yourself and copy the files to it and then tell LMCE to "find" it, if the folders are allready there LMCE uses the existing folders and content pops up much faster as it's there for the initial mapping of the drive.

LMCE does not remove any files from your NAS/storage (unless you ask it to delete a file of course )

Stingly

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2007, 12:25:07 pm »
...then tell LMCE to "find" it...

How do you do that?

I'm thinking that if it solves the problem of my NAS media being undetectable, it might just be worthwhile using LMCEs directory structure and be done with it... I suppose I can just hope and pray that Windows will still be able to see it!

Hagen

• Guru
  • LMCE wannabe user
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2007, 12:49:09 pm »
No problem for windows there.
But you have to tell it where to look (just like you did the last time you added to windows).

I would go into the LMCE web admin and delete the NAS, that way it will find it again as a "new" device and all the old potentialy troublesome settings will be errased.

Stingly

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2007, 01:05:19 pm »
Thanks! I'll give this a go at lunch time and report back.

One other thing, when the device is initially recognised, it tells me its found a MSS-0209FF (the NAS product name) and installs it. Then it tells me about the shares it finds and installs them. A little while later, it tells me its found a Maxtor NAS on a different IP address - I've been telling MCE to install it, but it finds no shares on it anyway so its defunct. Why does LMCE pick 1 NAS up as 2 different devices?

Hagen

• Guru
  • LMCE wannabe user
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2007, 01:08:44 pm »
internal IP?
I don't know, but I have had some items report as two different entities (often because of Wlan and LAN at the same time).
I also have an external USB drive on a server that reports twice...
Just tell it to never use it. but why... no idea
« Last Edit: September 27, 2007, 01:10:27 pm by Hagen »