Author Topic: Slow running and warning message  (Read 5070 times)

John@TunerUK

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Slow running and warning message
« on: September 26, 2007, 08:09:25 pm »
In order to use my machine with a CRT TV in my lounge, the final step of my installation was to ditch the onboard graphics, and add a graphics card with a TV out. Since my onboard was an nvidia 7050pv, which worked just fine, I bought another nVidia, this time a 7300GT.

Thinking I should be able to just plug the card in, I did so, and booted up the PC.
All went well, with the kubuntu logo appearing, and the progress bar going all the way up, the dcerouter login screen popped up as per usual, and from there linux mce would normally auto start.

However all I got was a blank screen with a small horizontal white flashing line in the top left corner (Like an underscore). I left the machine just in case it was doing something, but ages later nothing had changed.

Figuring I must be missing something, I powered down, removed the card, and booted up again, this time using the onboard gfx.

This time it booted up into linux MCE, however everything was really jerky, and the GUI was totally messed up, just random blue and grey blocks where the tabs should be.

I eventually managed to open up the kde desktop, which took ages to load, and was just as jerky, and it popped up a message saying:-

The Process For File Protocol Died Unexpectedly

This now happens every time I run the PC, and google hasn't really thrown up any definite causes/fixes.

If anyone has any suggestions I'd be most grateful.

Thanks in advance

John
Warning, total Linux NooB, but willing to learn!

Hagen

• Guru
  • LMCE wannabe user
    • View Profile
Re: Slow running and warning message
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2007, 11:15:52 am »
try rerunning the AVwizard, you get into it easy during reboot by holding the left shift button after the initial beeping sounds (not the bios beep, but the drawn out beeeeeeooooops  ;))
That will rewrite your settings atleast.
That could probably also be the issue in the first place with the new card.

A more thourough approach would be to do something about the Nvidia driver by using the "NV" open source driver and then re-installing/reenabling the nvidia driver... But I don't know how to do that.

teedge77

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2007, 03:36:35 pm »
i think when you get this you need to push some of the numbers keys to change inputs. try hitting 1 or 2 or 3 when you get the black screen. theres a lot of posts on it. did you try switching between the DVI and VGA outputs?
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
Asus M2V Via AM2 ATX
Lite-On LH-20A1S SATA DVD Burner
80GB  SATA-150
EVGA GeForce 7300 GT 512MB DDR2 PCI Express
Sound Blaster Audigy SE
Kingston 2 GB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz
Ultra X-Finity 800-Watt
ZCU000
Cisco 7970
TDM400P

John@TunerUK

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2007, 07:48:31 pm »
Ok, did a bit more investigation last night with the help of a friend. Turns out it had reverted back to the vesa driver, which is why the gui was buggered up using the onboard GFX, since it requires open gl.

The new card wasn't working because it thought it was on PCI: 0:18:00, when in fact it's on PCI: 2:00:0
So I've edited the xorg.conf file to correct that, and can now get the new card working using vesa, but for some reason it won't work when it's set to the nvidia driver in xorg.conf.

The card is an nvidia 7300gt, which I believe is supported? ???

teedge77

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2007, 07:50:17 pm »
that is strange. i have a 7300GT.
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
Asus M2V Via AM2 ATX
Lite-On LH-20A1S SATA DVD Burner
80GB  SATA-150
EVGA GeForce 7300 GT 512MB DDR2 PCI Express
Sound Blaster Audigy SE
Kingston 2 GB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz
Ultra X-Finity 800-Watt
ZCU000
Cisco 7970
TDM400P

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2007, 08:11:57 pm »
You can always try installing the latest nvidia drivers by hand, see Display_Drivers in the wiki.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

John@TunerUK

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2007, 09:03:30 pm »
I'll try that now and let you know how I get on :-X

John@TunerUK

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2007, 09:36:04 pm »
Hmmm, I'm hitting a problem. All was going well. Following the instructions I downloaded version 100.14.11 (presuming this was the correct version?)

Until stage 3
root@dcerouter:~# telinit 1

This stops the desktop, and takes me to a
dcerouter_33811:#~
prompt.
So presuming this was normal, I continued to stage 4

root@dcerouter:~# sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-100.14.11-pkg1.run

Which with the prompt I'd now got, actually became

dcerouter_33811:#~ sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-100.14.11-pkg1.run

Only to get a No such file or directory message

Any idea where I'm going wrong?

John@TunerUK

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2007, 10:28:18 pm »
Ok, don't ask me why, but I decided to startx from that dcerouter_33811:#~ prompt.
I ran Envy again, but this time selected 'add driver manually'
then clicked ok, and it's worked. Everything is hunky dory!

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2007, 10:36:16 pm »
Cool, I see you got it fixed while I was answering your post.  This isn't really needed anymore then but I'll leave it here anyway.  Maybe somebody could update the wiki page with some instructions on envy, or just introduce it with a link to it?  Seems a pretty popular tool.

You can ignore the difference in prompts, that is just an example.

I think the problem is that you are not in the same directory as the file you have downloaded in step 2.  You should be able to find it with:
Code: [Select]
find / -iname NVIDIA-Linux-\*
I suspect it probably is in /home/linuxmce/Desktop/, now to change the directory you could do something like:
Code: [Select]
cd /home/linuxmce/Desktop/

As an alternative you can also download the file again and save it in /tmp, then go there before continuing with the rest of the instructions.  But beware that all the files placed there are cleaned up when the system does a reboot (I think).

"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

John@TunerUK

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2007, 10:55:37 pm »
you're possibly right, I think I was in a different directory, as typing 'ls' only showed the 'Desktop' directory.

Ok, final step now, I'm going to move it to my lounge, and connect it to the CRT and re-run the av wizard.

I just have one other little niggle, but that's for another thread :D

Thanks for your help everyone 8)

Hagen

• Guru
  • LMCE wannabe user
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2007, 11:31:31 pm »
Great that you got it fixed, it also adds to the collective knowledge base here.

John@TunerUK

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2007, 11:37:33 pm »
I'm going to have fun guessing when to press the shift button to run the AV Wizard. This PC doesn't do ANY beeps whatsoever. It musn't have a buzzer thingamebob :D

jeff_rigby

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2007, 11:35:48 am »
I believe that an image of the kernal for each MD hardware config is kept on the core and is keyed to the mac number of the network card in your PC (MD).  This is the reason the first boot/config takes so long compared to the second boot of the same MD. 

LinuxMCE is apparently not forgiving of any hardware change.  You can go to the Admin site for your core and force a rebuild of the kernal for your MD. I believe you must do that when you change any hardware but keep the same network card mac address.

This is the reason that you see the assigned IP address for each MD and this never changes.

So if you change any hardware and have "issues" then either delete the MD to force the rebuild or go into admin and force the rebuild.