Author Topic: Assistance as Wiki doesnt match whats on screen  (Read 13625 times)

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
Re: Assistance as Wiki doesnt match whats on screen
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2007, 06:38:51 pm »
:D

I guess you finaly found a way not to look like the idiot you are, by keeping your mouth shut.  ;D
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2007, 06:42:35 pm »
plodge, sorry for missing it.. for best effect, you REALLY should be using your LinuxMCE box (core) as the internet router, otherwise you lose a lot of functionality (network plug-n-play etc)... as it stands, you'll need to disable the dhcp server from the admin, because you now have two dhcp servers running on your network.

teedge77

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2007, 06:44:28 pm »
thats another zinger zeark. youve substantially hurt my feelings.
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
Asus M2V Via AM2 ATX
Lite-On LH-20A1S SATA DVD Burner
80GB  SATA-150
EVGA GeForce 7300 GT 512MB DDR2 PCI Express
Sound Blaster Audigy SE
Kingston 2 GB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz
Ultra X-Finity 800-Watt
ZCU000
Cisco 7970
TDM400P

plodge

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2007, 10:27:48 pm »
The network settings (ie IP) per se dont need to be changed - as it has a valid IP address.

The http daemon just aint responding

:D

ok. go play with samme and trout and have a good time. ill know better than to apologize to a douche for being mistaken next time.
Nope, failed again, you still look like a stupid jackass.  :-*

Back on topic:

Search the forum for eth0:0 and you should be able to find a thread with a lot of info on changing the network settings, it often has to be done in several places (depending on what you're trying to achieve).

teedge77

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2007, 10:30:36 pm »
sorry, just to make sure. you have no trouble pinging the IP but its not accepting web requests? what kind of error does the page give? not found, access denied...something like that?
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
Asus M2V Via AM2 ATX
Lite-On LH-20A1S SATA DVD Burner
80GB  SATA-150
EVGA GeForce 7300 GT 512MB DDR2 PCI Express
Sound Blaster Audigy SE
Kingston 2 GB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz
Ultra X-Finity 800-Watt
ZCU000
Cisco 7970
TDM400P

plodge

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2007, 09:09:12 am »
Just nothing - not a 'not found', just no server will respond.

Didnt realise this has it's own DHCP - cant see why on earth it would need to - thought it was a media center.

sorry, just to make sure. you have no trouble pinging the IP but its not accepting web requests? what kind of error does the page give? not found, access denied...something like that?

Hagen

• Guru
  • LMCE wannabe user
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2007, 10:20:49 am »
thought it was a media center.
Many make that assumption, but this is not an MSVistaMCE. The reason for the DHCP server is that LMCE is more than a "normal" media center, it can also be used as a "smart home" controller. Running temperature, alarm systems, lighting, phones... basicly everything you can access trough LAN/IR/USB/Bluetooth or RS232.
Hence DHCP server for the LAN devices. If you have a LAN enabled system LMCE lets you control it trough LMCE/the living room TV.
It also uses the DHCP to find all connected devices from Xbox, NATs and windows/Mac/Linux computers and lets you decide how to use them with LMCE.
Thirdly it allows you to network boot any (almost any) computer with LMCE regardless of the installed OS.

If you take away the DHCP server you have to set up every file share and system manually, and every MD you use will need to be a local install, possibly even a core (I haven't tried, so I'm not entirely certain).

That is why it needs DHCP.

There are ways around this however, if you only want to use the Core as an MD and it's the only one in the house you can switch of the DHCP in the router, let the DHCP in LMCE find all the necessary IPs and machines (this requires the core to be set up to the same IP range as your original router) the IPs of the connected devices woun't change as they are just renewing their IP lease.
Then after that you can swithc off DHCP on the Core and back on uin the router and your media should still be available.
Mind you it woun't find any new machines you plug in and you can't network boot or install local MDs.
I did it this way at first, but it is too cumbersome if you want more MDs. So I went for the DHCP on the core...
« Last Edit: September 27, 2007, 10:22:41 am by Hagen »

Hagen

• Guru
  • LMCE wannabe user
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2007, 10:29:52 am »
So in order to get to the admin site in the first place you need to turn one of the DHCPs off.
You can turn it off in the LMCE only if you connect locally or connect to the router only if you disconnect LMCE.
That seems to be the trick, but you allready figured it out by now I guess.

By the way, the Core does not have to be your gateway, there are several succesful "single NIC" installs that uses a router as the gateway and the Core as the DHCP server. Mine is among them.
My only "boggle" was that the Core want's the xxx.xxx.xxx.1 IP, and my router allready had that IP, but in the admin site (once you do get in) all of this can be easily configured. My Core now is xxx.xxx.xxx.10 (internal) and xxx.xxx.xxx.100 (external eth0:0) and routers are still xxx.xxx.xxx.1 and xxx.xxx.xxx.2
« Last Edit: September 27, 2007, 10:37:08 am by Hagen »

plodge

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2007, 11:40:22 am »
Plan was to try this as a touchscreen for the Alarm and Integrated lighting/mains control system. So I only need a single RS232 connection to my panel. Nothing else at the moment.

At the moment, I cant get to anything to configure this thing - no web admin access whatsoever. It's got a valid lan ip on a valid subnet. I presume this can all be config'ed from the webadmin ?

Hagen

• Guru
  • LMCE wannabe user
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2007, 12:14:42 pm »
Ok, how are you trying to connect to the LMCE box?
locally on a crossed network cable, or trough the router/LAN?
Did you in the case of the LAN approach disable the DHCP in the router?
Are you connecting with a windows machine? have you tried running ipconfig on it? what did IP config tell you? if the gateway on the windows machine (I assume windows) set to the LMCE IP or the router IP? If everything is working the gateway should be the same as the LMCE external IP. what you can do is try to put the IP you get as gateway into your browser.

Hagen

• Guru
  • LMCE wannabe user
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2007, 12:31:47 pm »
Sage advice indeed.

The router here is irrelevant. The LinuxMCE box IP on the LAN is 192.168.0.20 dished out by the router. Install downloaded a load of stuff from t'internet.
This tells us you are still using the router as DHCP. Now there is an option I did overlook, is the Core equipped with two NICs?
in that case you can't connect to the core from the "external" NIC that get's the IP (correctly) from the router. You have to be on the internal LMCE to connect (the first time), then you can change the configs to allow connections from the external network (but i haven't done it).
« Last Edit: September 27, 2007, 12:46:20 pm by Hagen »

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2007, 01:11:02 pm »
Have you tried the "Web bookmark" for the "Pluto admin" on the "computing screen?  Or else in KDE the "lmce launch manager" also has a button called "Open admin website".  Those should open a browser and point it in the right direction.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

plodge

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2007, 02:52:34 pm »
Hi - one NIC - it's a ThinkPad

OK, i loaded up the pluto admin - I found that - didnt work - so replaced dcerouter with the loopback and I got in.

Turned off DHCP and disabled the firewall - now I can admin remotely on the LAN. Will have a play about. As long as I can get this thing to emulate my alarm keypad and fire off the RS232 commands down the wire, it's an option.

If not, format is-a-coming :-)

Thnx Hagen - appreciated. Pointed me in the direction of the bleeding obvious - which I obviously didnt bleeding see !

Hagen

• Guru
  • LMCE wannabe user
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2007, 03:23:40 pm »
No problem, now someone else needs to tell you how to set up the RS232 as I haven't got the foggiest.
But it would help if you tell us what it is, manufacturer and model.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2007, 03:29:41 pm »
more than likely, you'll need to create a GSD device template to control the model.

-Thom