Author Topic: Network drivers on ISO image  (Read 3675 times)

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Network drivers on ISO image
« on: August 25, 2005, 01:40:57 am »
Is it possible to modify the ISO image to include different network drivers?  I threw away all of my floppy drives except a USB floppy drive.  Does Pluto load USB drivers during system setup?

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2005, 03:55:45 pm »
You can't actually add new drivers to the disc or load them at install time. A new/recompiled kernel is needed. What network card do you have and it doesn't work?

I don't really know about USB devices at install time.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2005, 05:19:19 pm »
Both cards in the box are linksys cards.  I get an error during installation that the system could not find suitable network drivers and I should enter a floppy disc with the driver information on it to proceed.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2005, 12:25:12 pm »
That "instert floppy with drivers" thins is totally unexplored :o If this actually exists, it's tricky to use since you'd need drivers for the running kernel. What exactly is the chipset of the cards?

If you want to experiment a bit, you can download a released Debian Sarge CD and try to install that. Their installer is newer and we're to upgrate to it soon. And if that works, please let me know.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2005, 07:33:12 pm »
What would I need to do after I installed the Debian CD to get Pluto installed?  Should I complete the wizard again with the selection "I currently have Linux installed"?

thanks

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2005, 11:03:06 am »
It's possible, but I never tried it. You can use the same script as the CD does to install the Pluto packages on top of Debian and it will be almost the same as installing with the CD.

First, add this line to /etc/apt/sources.list:
Code: [Select]
deb http://deb.plutohome.com/debian/ 20dev main
Then, do
apt-get update
apt-get install pluto-install-scripts

This will install some scripts in /usr/pluto/install.

Edit /usr/pluto/install/Initial_Config_Real.sh and comment out the "read" and "exit 1" on lines 108 and 109 since two packages that were considered critical in the past but are disabled now (didn't remove them though) aren't present on your system and will cause the script to fail if you skip this step.

Run /usr/pluto/install/Initial_Config.sh to begin the installation.

From here, everything will go as with regular Pluto.

This is needed only if you have a i686 non-compliant machine (i.e. 586 or older, like AMD K6-2, VIA C3 and Samuel 2 [but not Nehemiah, which is i686])
-- i386/i586 specific --
It will also install kernel 2.6 for 686 machines. Proceed like this, but when you get to "installation finished, press enter to reboot", don't reboot yet. Go to another console and type this:
apt-get install kernel-image-2.6.10-1-386
This will install the 386 kernel. You won't be able to use the ivtv or cx88 drivers with it since they're built only for the 686 kernel but everything else should work ok.
-- end of i386/i586 specific --

I don't know what to expect regarding the interaction between Pluto and the Sarge packages yet, since you installed a clean Debian there, but there should be no problem at all. We're upgrading our packages to Sarge after the 2.0.0.28 release, so any pre-upgrade feedback is appreciated. Thanks.

Initial data shows that it should work as expected with Sarge packages, the only problem for now is automatic upgrade from our snapshot to Sarge, which affects our current systems, not Pluto-over-Sarge installs.