Author Topic: Diskless setup fails - diskless_setup.sh  (Read 3549 times)

lozzo

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
Diskless setup fails - diskless_setup.sh
« on: September 25, 2007, 08:41:41 pm »
I am trying to boot a MeshBox as my first ever media director over the network. The system appears to start fine but then:

Code: [Select]
Assigned permanent IP '192.168.80.2' to device '19'
Running Diskless_setup.sh
Diskless setup failed

That's it - no more diagnostics!

The MeshBox runs on a VIA EPIA Nano-ITX CV860A series mainboard. It has succesfully booted into the lightweight linux on  an internal CompactFlash card many times.

• My core is running DHCP but only has one ethernet card in it so my home router is still acting as an internet gateway. Could this be a factor?
  • Which logs can I look at to see what went wrong?

Any help appreciated!  ???

chewi

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Diskless setup fails - diskless_setup.sh
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2007, 11:00:39 am »
Try detatching the internet-router from your local network and set it up again.
If that works, you know if the router was the problem.

If it is, that's propably, because there are 2 dhcp-servers. one on the core and one on the router. for diskless md's you definately need the core to be dhcp-server. So you should deactivate dhcp on the router and use the core instead. Assign a second static address on the core that can connect to the router (e.g. 192.168.0.5 if the router is 192.168.0.1) (linux can use multiple ip-addresses on a single nic). If the core has internet connection, every other pc will have as well, because it acts as a forwarder and firewall.

good luck...

Hagen

• Guru
  • LMCE wannabe user
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2007, 03:15:26 pm »
My core is running DHCP but only has one ethernet card in it so my home router is still acting as an internet gateway. Could this be a factor?
That is identical to my setup and I have setup several network booted MDs.
Do you have access to any other computer you could do a PXE boot on?
Laptops are great for testing this directly on the LMCE, but the router should not be a problem (if you did remember to turn the DHCP off in that one), since the PC connected initially something else seems to be wrong.
But try with another computer first, make or speed doesn't really matter for this test, you can use a PII if you want to (crappy playback, but you will see if the setup works or not  ;))

lozzo

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2007, 07:17:06 pm »
If it is, that's propably, because there are 2 dhcp-servers. one on the core and one on the router. for diskless md's you definately need the core to be dhcp-server. So you should deactivate dhcp on the router and use the core instead.

Thanks for that but I've already turned off DHCP on the router.

I might try doing it with a laptop - which I presume will work. If it does, does anyone know how to find out WHY the setup script fails? In any case, it would be helpful to incorporate failure messages into the script for everyone's sake.

;D

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2007, 08:37:40 pm »
Logfiles are usually kept under /var/log/pluto, and you can find the files created for/by the Media Director on the core under /usr/pluto/diskless/XX, where XX is the device number of the MD. 
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous