Author Topic: When will there be Divx dvd support?  (Read 2541 times)

DJYoshaBYD

• View Profile
When will there be Divx dvd support?
« on: March 26, 2008, 05:46:10 pm »
I have alot of divx and avi's on dvd-r's... when I insert them into my linuxmce machine, it doesnt recognize them at all... Is there a way to do this? or do I have to go into KDE to add these to the hard drive so it will be recognized in there? and can I organize them into separate folders in the /videos/ folder?

is the newest version of linuxmce more stable than the last? I have 7.04.. should I upgrade it?

lon22

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: When will there be Divx dvd support?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 06:12:37 pm »
is the newest version of linuxmce more stable than the last? I have 7.04.. should I upgrade it?

In general released versions of software tend to be more stable (tested) than beta versions, which is every version of LMCE since 7.04. There are new features and a lot of bug fixes in the beta versions. The last beta (4) is the most stable of them all. I think most people try out the beta to see what is new and if a bug that irritated the hell out of them in a previous version has been fixed. Trying out the beta is a win-win for you and the community. You might find out that you have specific problems with the beta that can possibly be addressed before the actual release.

As far as I know,, none of the beta version will allow you to play divx files directly off a disc. I believe there are some topics in this forum on that subject that go into more detail.

lon22

samuelmukoti

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Re: When will there be Divx dvd support?
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008, 03:26:26 pm »
Hi,

Am not yet versed with the inards & workings of LMCE, but i should imagine it maybe a mater of modifying the  code/applet that run upon "new media insert" event handler, so that it can scan the type of CD/DVD thats been inserted, the contents and maybe go through the contents and find playable media.

For example if CD/DVD contains photos, it would be nice to then start a photo/import/slideshow wizard of some sort, secondly if its Music Jukebox CD/DVD (contains mp3,mp4,ogg,flac, etc) then it plays that.. and for video the same.

As you might already note, this is not as trival a task as it seems at first.  many people backup their DivX movies on a CD/DVD by just burning a couple of folders onto a Data disk. thats fine, but the LMCE will need to scan  the folders for subtitles, cover-art etc..   8)

if I'm pointed in the right direction, i would mind working on this..

best regards,

Sam