Author Topic: Debian Hanging on New Install  (Read 6078 times)

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Debian Hanging on New Install
« on: August 28, 2005, 11:58:47 pm »
I have configured a new system and the install seemed to go smooth. I changed the install from being a hybrid to a dedicated core. The installation loaded kernel 2.6.10-1-686 and v2.0.0.28 of Pluto. When the installation completed and it rebooted, it hangs on the line:

Starting NFS common utilities: statd

The cursor blinks at the end of the statd and never goes any further. I tried it in Debug mode and without. This system has booted into Pluto when I had it configured as a hybrid. Has something changed in the kernerl or code that would cause this? I tried a clean load from the QuickStart CD 2-3 times and it still hangs in the same place during the linux boot after the statd.

Thank you in advance.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2005, 10:40:16 am »
Nothing like that should happen. A hybrid runs exactly the same stuff as a core, plus media director software and nothing changed lately in the base system. It's the same kernel and same base packages.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2005, 01:42:43 pm »
OK, so is there anything I can do to troubleshoot? If the cursor is blinking after the statd, does that mean that it is hanging on the statd load or the next line after? Can I get some ideas on how to troubleshoot this?

Nothing has changed on my system; hardware or software. How I got here was that I went into mypluto config, deleted the first configuration (hybrid, etc.) and created another as a dedicated core. The only thing that I can see that changed is that I was running pluto 2.0.0.27 before and now it looks like it loaded pluto 2.0.0.28.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2005, 02:07:06 pm »
The script that starts that is called /etc/init.d/nfs-common and it shouldn't hang. If ssh started by that point, you should be able to ssh into the system and look around: /var/log/syslog should have some info. Possible kill the script and restart it by hand to see what happens.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2005, 01:36:39 am »
ssh is not started at this point. i tried to restart the system several more times and it now puts a period after the statd and goes to the next blnk line and hangs there. I am not sure if this means that statd is having a problem or the line after. Can you tell me what loads after statd?

To anyone else on the forum: Has anyone else seen this problem???

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2005, 10:23:09 am »
A dot and newline after statd means it started. "nfs-common" has start position 21 and "ssh" has start position 20, so ssh should be active at that point. After nfs-common the Pluto stuff starts.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2005, 10:41:18 am »
I am seeing the exact same problem, where after the installation and a reboot, the system just hangs at the line after statd with a blinking cursor.

I breifly installed pluto on this machine a week or so ago as a dedicated core, but reinstalled it today given that I added a few extra drives to the raid array as well as some extra hardware including two DVB cards and a second ethernet card.

Another thing to note is that during the install it detected the dlink pci network card I added (connected to a cable modem) as well as the motherboard's onboard gigabit connection.

I used the onboard gigabit for the first install that worked fine, but now in this second install where I used the dlink connection, the leds to indicate that the onboard lan has a link don't even light.

To further complicate things, my cable provider (Telstra, I'm in Australia) requires that I run a login client before it will let any traffic (besides DNS) pass through to the net. I overcame this problem during the install by switching to the second console (alt-f2) and installing the login client through there.

Anyways, if I can manage to ssh in I'll poke around (which is a little hard because the second network card connected to my switch doesn't show that there is a link, and I have no idea what the IP is that the cable modem has assigned me is).

Cheers,
-Kent

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2005, 10:30:59 am »
Quote from: "CaCtus491"
I am seeing the exact same problem, where after the installation and a reboot, the system just hangs at the line after statd with a blinking cursor.
I'm starting to hate this already since I don't know yet what could be causing it. If it's hanging after the dot and newline after statd have been displayed, then it could be stalling trying to connect to the mysql server (which is local actually, and should have no problem).
Another thing to note is that during the install it detected the dlink pci network card I added (connected to a cable modem) as well as the motherboard's onboard gigabit connection.

I used the onboard gigabit for the first install that worked fine, but now in this second install where I used the dlink connection, the leds to indicate that the onboard lan has a link don't even light.
That's weird. What model is the on-board card? Normally you should get it autodetected the same way as it was detected by the installer. You can also try to load the module manually (if you know what it's called).

Anyways, if I can manage to ssh in I'll poke around (which is a little hard because the second network card connected to my switch doesn't show that there is a link, and I have no idea what the IP is that the cable modem has assigned me is).
If the installation finished and you use DHCP, you can find your IP address from the console with the "ifconfig" and "ip a" commands.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2005, 12:59:08 am »
Well, I went to look at the machine again today which I left sitting at the point where it hung, and found that the core had sucessfully booted and even the second network card was working.

So it seems that something just took a very long time to time out (previously I sat watching it for about 5 - 10 mins).

I'm happy to just let this go now, however if you want me to try out a few things to see what was causing the issue, I'm happy to help.

Cheers,
-Kent