Author Topic: Install experience/Problems from DVD  (Read 5746 times)

ThePulse

• View Profile
Install experience/Problems from DVD
« on: September 24, 2007, 10:14:39 am »
Hi all!

Hmmmmm! I think the video is "telling a lie" this is really not so simple as shown in the video- this is my thierd go for linuxMCE - but no luck so far!

I know that this is opensource - don´t see it as a complaint, i´m just frustrated that the video is making it oh so simple and almost laughing at Microsoft (uf i said the word ;-) ) but in MS´s cases the SW works 9 out of 10 times - this is maybe 1 out of 10. But hang in there!

I think the team should use more time to make this simple to get running rather on alarm features and things like that!

Now to my install experience/Problems:

1. Got the DVD started to install hangs after this: Install hangs after /dev/sda5: uuid="3604..." type="swap" on DVD install.
    Found out that the DVD doesn´t support SATA, so i got my self an IDE drive - and now we are back in buisness

2. The DVD installs, starts up for the first time - and........... No signal: GFX card: Nvidia 7600GT - TV: LG 37lc2r
    This has been the same problem on all versions so far!
    Found out that a guy got it working by changing the driver in xorg.conf to NV.

3. Now i get the video from the Video/audio setup - but can only see a small portion of the screen - the only Resolution i can get to work is 720p and i get through the setup by guessing what to do

4. Next stop is grey screen and something about can´t start something - I change the driver back to nvidia again and get past this point and LinuxMCE starts up!

I go through the setup wizzard but only the screen is there - no music, no photos, no TV

So here are my issues i need help on:

1. MS Remote doesn´t work

2. LinuxMCE says that something didn´t start up right, but it seems to work anyway and i can´t find the log file

3. I have to unplug my Logitech wireless dongle and plug it in again every time i start linuxMCE to get my keyboard and mouse to work

4. Linux MCE didn´t find my media files on my Nas server (buffalo terrastation)

5. No TV - myth tv setup hangs my computer

6. VERY low res - the text can´t stay inside the buttons

Can you PLEASE help me get past theese points, because i want to get it to work this time!

Stingly

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Install experience/Problems from DVD
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2007, 10:54:57 am »
Hi - could you post the link of how to change the xorg.conf file? I think I may be having the same problem - did the signal disappear after the Kubuntu loading screen?

ThePulse

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2007, 11:10:13 am »
Hi - could you post the link of how to change the xorg.conf file? I think I may be having the same problem - did the signal disappear after the Kubuntu loading screen?

Hi!
No problem  ;)

try this first:
The 2 time i installed from the DVD i did it "blindfolded"
when you have your no signal:
press enter -> right arrow(on keyboard) -> down arrow -> right arrow -> down arrow -> press enter
Now you selected VGA - 720P - 60Hz and the screen "reloads" to those settings - if it doesn´t help do the thing below:

On boot press ESC to get access to GRUB boot option -> chose recovery
wait until it is done -> type: sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf     press Enter (Capital X)
find the spot where it says NVIDIA and change it to NV -> press CTRL-o press enter CTRL-x and write sudo reboot

thats it -> but remeber to set it back to NVIDIA after the setup!

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2007, 07:26:41 pm »
Hi all!

Hmmmmm! I think the video is "telling a lie" this is really not so simple as shown in the video- this is my thierd go for linuxMCE - but no luck so far!

I know that this is opensource - don´t see it as a complaint, i´m just frustrated that the video is making it oh so simple and almost laughing at Microsoft (uf i said the word ;-) ) but in MS´s cases the SW works 9 out of 10 times - this is maybe 1 out of 10. But hang in there!

I think the team should use more time to make this simple to get running rather on alarm features and things like that!

Now to my install experience/Problems:

1. Got the DVD started to install hangs after this: Install hangs after /dev/sda5: uuid="3604..." type="swap" on DVD install.
    Found out that the DVD doesn´t support SATA, so i got my self an IDE drive - and now we are back in buisness

2. The DVD installs, starts up for the first time - and........... No signal: GFX card: Nvidia 7600GT - TV: LG 37lc2r
    This has been the same problem on all versions so far!
    Found out that a guy got it working by changing the driver in xorg.conf to NV.

3. Now i get the video from the Video/audio setup - but can only see a small portion of the screen - the only Resolution i can get to work is 720p and i get through the setup by guessing what to do

4. Next stop is grey screen and something about can´t start something - I change the driver back to nvidia again and get past this point and LinuxMCE starts up!

I go through the setup wizzard but only the screen is there - no music, no photos, no TV

So here are my issues i need help on:

2. LinuxMCE says that something didn´t start up right, but it seems to work anyway and i can´t find the log file

3. I have to unplug my Logitech wireless dongle and plug it in again every time i start linuxMCE to get my keyboard and mouse to work

Can you PLEASE help me get past theese points, because i want to get it to work this time!

Okay, i'll deal with your issues one at a time:

1. what dongle are you using? I am using a USB UIRT, and it is working flawlessly, no configuration needed.

2. what didn't start up, correctly?

3. I use a different wireless keyboard/mouse combo (very rarely, because I use my Fiire chief most of the tiem), from Adesso.. their wireless keyboard/mouse combo that works flawlessly.

4. did you tell it to use LinuxMCE's directory structure? it works best if you do this, and move the files into those directories.

5. very strange..what tuner setup are you using?

6. it's not a question of being low res, it's just a fact of the skin generation process..this will be refined.

as for the video problems you had, did you ever look at the AVWizard page on the wiki? you don't have to blindly press keys to get past a point... the number keys on the top select the resolution and input to use. also it is worth noting that on NVIDIA cards with mixed ports, the first VGA port is always the DVI port with a dongle attached (this is a peculiarity of both the way the cards are designed and NVIDIA's port of the Linux driver.)..so attach a DVI to VGA dongle if you need to... no need to flip flop video driver stuff.

-Thom

ThePulse

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2007, 11:07:54 pm »
Hi all!

Okay, i'll deal with your issues one at a time:

1. what dongle are you using? I am using a USB UIRT, and it is working flawlessly, no configuration needed.
I´m not sure - it comes with hauppauge pvr500 - i think it´s for mce2005 - the only text i can see is on the remote - it says RC6

2. what didn't start up, correctly?
I have no idea ;) how can i find out !?

3. I use a different wireless keyboard/mouse combo (very rarely, because I use my Fiire chief most of the tiem), from Adesso.. their wireless keyboard/mouse combo that works flawlessly.
Logitech! what can you do ;)

4. did you tell it to use LinuxMCE's directory structure? it works best if you do this, and move the files into those directories.
Well! i guess that is true - but you know its a terastation for a reason - i have 600gig of data on that thing!
But OK! where do i do that ?????

5. very strange..what tuner setup are you using?
PVR500 i have configured the back end and i have been running the front end from desktop and i can see TV there (it is flickering and there is no audio) , but pressing TV from LinuxMCE gives me: MythTV is having problems - reset the backend?

6. it's not a question of being low res, it's just a fact of the skin generation process..this will be refined.
OK!

as for the video problems you had, did you ever look at the AVWizard page on the wiki? you don't have to blindly press keys to get past a point... the number keys on the top select the resolution and input to use. also it is worth noting that on NVIDIA cards with mixed ports, the first VGA port is always the DVI port with a dongle attached (this is a peculiarity of both the way the cards are designed and NVIDIA's port of the Linux driver.)..so attach a DVI to VGA dongle if you need to... no need to flip flop video driver stuff.
So you say that i can just press ? 2 or something like that at it would select a differet output? A lot of people are having problems with this - maybe it should be pointed out more!!!! BTW. i´m running DVI->HDMI
Just tested this for the "fun" of it - geeeeee! that could have saved me hours -> but that is also a problem to many fixes and workarounds to read and deal with!

Thank you for the help so far
[/quote]
« Last Edit: September 24, 2007, 11:30:58 pm by ThePulse »

Hagen

• Guru
  • LMCE wannabe user
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2007, 03:58:02 pm »
A sort of "quick reference guide" for installation with the short-cut keys should be added as a txt/pdf to the web-site / download
as a readme.txt.

I am busy this week, but that is a job I could possibly do, or atleast start on for others to complement.