Author Topic: DHCP functions in LCME, do it in OpenWRT  (Read 2931 times)

linix

• View Profile
DHCP functions in LCME, do it in OpenWRT
« on: September 24, 2007, 01:43:07 am »
HI Pros,

I have my own network running off Linksys wrt54gs router with OpenWRT on it. It has DNSMASQ for all my DHCP related configurations, PXE boot configurations, and other DHCP options.

What does the DHCP functions LMCE provide? Can I simply move those DHCP/router/firewall related configurations to my Dnsmasq file/settings, so each MD will get IP from my Openwrt's Dnsmasq and being redirected to LMCE to get bootimage, other stuff, etc.?

This way, my LMCE will simply a Core for my media/voip/etc service, but as a normal member of my other networked devices.

your feedback on this is appreciated.
Peng

darrenmason

• Addicted
    • View Profile
Re: DHCP functions in LCME, do it in OpenWRT
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2007, 05:23:41 am »
You can probably do want you are asking but you will probably break the automatic adding of Media Directors (and other IP based plug n play devices). You may be able to change some of the scripts to minimize the impact.
It would be much easier to turn off the features of the openwrt box IMO

linix

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2007, 01:32:51 pm »
HI Darrenmason,

Thanks for the reply. What exactly does "break the automatic adding of Media Directors (and other IP based plug n play devices)" mean?

I would think that LCME use DHCP server and its related option to give a device an ip upon request and tell them to get a pxe boot image from him. For IP cam, it would be a static ip and we can register that ip in LMCE.

Do we have a document from Plutohome or LMCE with details of how DHCP/Firewall/Router stuff? So, we can understand how it's designed and to see whether we can migrate to my OpenWrt. This will let me have one flat network. I currently have my router/firewall/Asterisk/DHCP, etc on this OpenWRt box which has been there  for 5 years. i want to keep it that way if possible.

I just want add this LMCE as one more appliance with one network card to internet and serve related request (media,security,alarm, etc).

tks
peng

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2007, 02:07:43 pm »
If you remove the DHCP functionality from LMCE it will break the autodetection of many things.  Which means you will have to configure just about everything by hand. 

You might as well just install MythTV if that's the only functionality you want/need.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous