Author Topic: [SOLVED] NVIDIA installation failed  (Read 10665 times)

mardoc

• View Profile
[SOLVED] NVIDIA installation failed
« on: September 22, 2007, 10:53:07 am »
Hi friends,

I tried to install linuxmce on my laptop, which has a nvidia card. But I´m not able to install this card correct.
-During the linuxmce-installation-wizard, when I select, that the nvidia driver should be installed, after the reboot, I can not login again, because the display stays grey.
-I also tried to install the nvidia-linux-driver, after the linuxmce installation, but in this case, the nvidia-linux-driver installation fails...
-I also tried some steps, what I´ve found on the net:
remove of:
pluto-nvidia-video-drivers
nvidia-glx

vi /etc/default/linux-restricted-modules-common → DISABLED_MODULES=„nv“
apt-get install nvidia-glx-new nvidia-kernel-common
nvidia-glx-config enable
nvidia-xconfig

But again, the installation fails.

Is there a way to install linuxmce with NVIDIA, to enable UI2?

many thanx
mardoc
« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 10:36:52 pm by mardoc »

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
Re: NVIDIA installation failed
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2007, 12:42:28 pm »
Hi friends,

I tried to install linuxmce on my laptop, which has a nvidia card. But I´m not able to install this card correct.
-During the linuxmce-installation-wizard, when I select, that the nvidia driver should be installed, after the reboot, I can not login again, because the display stays grey.
-I also tried to install the nvidia-linux-driver, after the linuxmce installation, but in this case, the nvidia-linux-driver installation fails...
-I also tried some steps, what I´ve found on the net:
remove of:
pluto-nvidia-video-drivers
nvidia-glx

vi /etc/default/linux-restricted-modules-common → DISABLED_MODULES=„nv“
apt-get install nvidia-glx-new nvidia-kernel-common
nvidia-glx-config enable
nvidia-xconfig

But again, the installation fails.

Is there a way to install linuxmce with NVIDIA, to enable UI2?

many thanx
mardoc
See: http://wiki.linuxmce.com/index.php/Display_Drivers for manual installation and setup of the display drivers.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

vastdigital

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2007, 09:21:07 pm »
Zearc

You seem to know your way around this stuff. I cannot get MCE to display properly and have given up trying to do anything with the nv driver so want to use the nvidia ones as I am using an 8600GT card. LMCE cannot auto load them without crashing so I have followed the wiki but trying to exit the x server using telinit 1 returns the display to the Kubuntu load screen which just hangs. I have tried telinit s but trying to run the nvidia command after this results is a "not recognised" response.

I am a very newbie so if you can help please keep it simple Linux is a foreign language to me right now.

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2007, 10:19:28 pm »
You can try rebooting in "rescue mode", just press [Esc] when grub tells you to during the boot and select it from the menu.  I have very limited experience with the nvidia chipsets. 

Could the problem be that the wrong output is selected? See AVWizard in the wiki for details on selecting different outputs, or try connecting a screen to the other outputs.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

mardoc

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2007, 11:55:34 pm »
the problem, what I guess is based in kubuntu, but also pluto has some issues with the nvidia.
I tried to install linuxmce now several times with all possible ways:
-kubuntu then linuxmce then linux-nvidia driver update --> crash
-kubuntu with wizard update during installation --> crash

I followed those instruction from the wiki page, but I can not get it running.
After reboot, the screen stays black and hangs and I had to switch off my computer.

Is there someone, who can write a step by step guide-line how to install the linuxmce with nvidia cards?

thanx mardoc

vastdigital

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2007, 12:18:18 am »
Zaerc

The output seems fixed until the proper driver is installed. I had a VGA and a DVI (Plasma) connected at the same time from boot to check this and only output 1 works. I will try your suggestion. Thanks.

mardoc

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2007, 09:58:28 am »
Hello,
finally, after  ???  :-[  :-\  :'( I could start the nvidia driver with envy.
After installation of the nvidia driver with envy, I exit envy without reboot and directly startx with success.
But after reboot, the black screen was coming back. When I install the driver again and startx, the nvidia driver is loaded, but again, after reboot --> black screen.

So, there must be something between the status: after installation and after reboot. I would say, something with the kernel.
Do you have any ideas?

thanx mardoc

shazzed

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2007, 03:36:04 pm »
I have the exact same problem.
Using a legacy GeForce2 TI

I install Kubuntu and run linuxmce from discs, follow the guide to the key go to install nvidia drivers thorugh wizard and it reboots... bam blank screen after kubuntu loading screen.

I re-installed kubuntu (7.04) and then install the nvidia drivers as I would in ubunutu (7.04) reboot and bam same deal.

I suspect it is becasue Kubunutu hasn't had it's updates downloaded and installed ( as the installer say to install with a fresh Kubunutu). So I am trying to install without the drivers and then will update later and see if it dies after a reboot again.

I will post back with my finding tomoz.

mardoc

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2007, 04:50:29 pm »
I found out, that during the linuxmce wizard, you have to select: opensource driver for graphic card and only the basic UI for the orbiter. After the installation of linuxmce, it´s possible to install envy (but you have to install additional pkgs...), and then after installation of envy don´t reboot but directly startx... you can see the nvidia logo and of course you are using the nvidia driver
but, as I wrote, after reboot, you´ll have the black screen...
I actually don´t know, why this is the case.

thanx
mardoc

lozzo

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2007, 07:22:52 pm »
I had a similar problem. When I installed the NVidia drivers it rebooted and then wouldn't let me out of 640x480. Then I couldn't get rid of the driver. It was for my server anyway (alpha blending pointless) so I just reinstalled everything and clicked on "no" the next time.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2007, 07:42:35 pm »
good god, why the hell are you guys circumventing all this stuff? you guys make it 50,000,000 times harder than you ever should!

shazzed

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2007, 01:49:54 am »
good god, why the hell are you guys circumventing all this stuff? you guys make it 50,000,000 times harder than you ever should!

Gee thx I will log that one away. ::)

It doesn't hurt to post what has gone wrong. It might actually help someone down the track with a similar problem. :)

My Geforce 2 Ti finally gave in so I got a new graphics card this morning and as a result have re-installed with no problems.

RDAC

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2007, 04:28:51 am »
ah, try this...

do the esc to enter recovery mode, then dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

-or-

dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

One way or another, select in your proper screen resolution and you should be back in the game.

I used the Envy subversion technique to get my box running as well, and to those who said 'why'...because we had to, duh. The default detection scheme doesn't always work for everybody, get over it.

RDAC

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2007, 04:32:33 am »
Also, if you want to get rid of the logo, do this...

cd /etc/X11

vi xorg.conf

Go down to 'devices' section, check that the driver is listed as 'nvidia', not 'vesa' or 'nv', and do the following:

hit shift R on your keyboard, add the following lines before the end of the section...

Option     "NoLogo"          "true"
     Option     "UseEdidDpi"     "false"

Hit esc, then hold down shift and type ZZ.

Reboot and you should be good to go, no logo, no weird font issues, no muss no fuss.

mardoc

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2007, 10:21:47 am »
Hello all,

Coming back to my point, what´s now the steps to get the nvidia driver running:
-) installation of kubuntu
-) then step5 of the installation docu:
#######
*Only for Nvidia cards - LinuxMCE will detect that you are using a nVidia Card, but you are not using the proprietary video driver. Only that driver works well with LinuxMCE and nvidia cards and it will ask you it you want to switch to it now.
#######
--> we know, that this isn´t working after reboot, because there we will have the black screen.

what I´ve tried now:
-) configure the xorg.conf: change the module: nvidia to nv to complete the installation.
-) after installation, I´ve changed it back to nvidia
-) reboot --> black screen

-) installation of nvidia driver from www.nvidia.com
--> black screen
-) installation of envy:
--> well, in this case, after installation of the nvidia driver with envy, I directly started (without reboot) the kdm and I could see the nvidia logo and of sure the driver was loading.
--> after reboot --> black screen.
-) during black screen: switched back to console: stopped the kdm and started the kdm again:
--> driver was working --> reboot --> black screen

-) switched back to console: stopped and started the kdm --> nvidia is working
--> start linuxmce and update of packages
--> reboot --> black screen
--> couldn´t start the nvidia driver again.

at this point, I´ve tried it with pluto and you know what:....
the nvidia driver is working, but when the AV-wizard is starting on the hybrid, it is shown 14 times on my display.
it´s going to be a nightmare...

pointing to the step 5: *Only for Nvidia cards - LinuxMCE will detect that you are using a nVidia Card ....

is there a way, that someone will solve this issue in the installation script?
or can someone tell me, as not an expert in configure something, what are the steps?

Can someone post a working xorg.conf with using of a nvidia card?

thanx
mardoc
« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 10:31:28 am by mardoc »