Author Topic: Wiki-discussions  (Read 17825 times)

Samme

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Wiki-discussions
« on: September 22, 2007, 09:31:42 am »
As some of you might know, me and Trout (on the wiki) have signed up as admins for the wiki, we haven't got any admin-rights from Paul yet though.

Anyway, my thought is to make it the god damn best wiki there is  ;D

Any discussions regarding the wiki is welcome, and also check out the Community Portal, if you have a topic you want to discuss, do it on the talk page.

http://wiki.linuxmce.com/index.php/LinuxMCE_Wiki:Community_Portal

Also, if someone is good at making templates for wiki, you're hired :)

/ Samme

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
Re: Wiki-discussions
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2007, 02:19:10 pm »
Speaking of the wiki, could someone get this "Trout" character off my back?  He seems to think it's necessary to take out things I add. 

Now I have plenty more things to add to the wiki, but not with people like that going around having the illusion that they need to police every addition I make (without even contributing anything of their own).  If this is how you guys plan on "administrating" the wiki, count me out.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

Samme

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2007, 07:33:52 am »
What does he do?

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2007, 11:33:43 am »
http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php?title=Serial_Hack&action=history

Aparently I'm not allowed to add a suggestion the original author of the page asked for. 
-- Anonymous

Samme

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2007, 01:17:59 pm »
Well, I didn't really understand what you've been up to, but as I also wrote there, we should keep discussions and talk on the pages designated for it, not in the articles itself.

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2007, 01:46:53 pm »
Well, I didn't really understand what you've been up to, but as I also wrote there, we should keep discussions and talk on the pages designated for it, not in the articles itself.

I tried to make a suggestion to the original author of that page, which he asked for.  Somehow this had to be removed several times over.  But now all of a sudden there needs to be some personal rant adressed at me on that page. 

So thank you for pointing that out to me. ::)  I won't make the mistake of wasting my time on the wiki any further.

-- Anonymous

Samme

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2007, 02:24:49 pm »
Well, you should have written your suggestion on the page marked discussion, but that's not the point. I agree that Trout and others that were involved should discussed (or asked) you before deleting your work, if that was the case.

Please do not see this as a rant aimed at you, because it isn't and please do contribute at the wiki, we do need people like you, as well as people like me, Trout etc.

We're all needed in this project - and we must all be able to both give and take criticism, and last but not least we must all work together.

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2007, 05:25:33 pm »
Well, you should have written your suggestion on the page marked discussion

This is nothing more then your opinion, apart from that there are no formal guidelines.  The last thing anybody needs when contributing is a couple of wannabe wiki-admins breathing down his or her neck because something might not be exactly to their liking. 

And how exactly is this not aimed at me? 

What I should have done is not bothering, it's becoming pretty obvious that contributions aren't appreciated at all, unless of course it's some personal petty bullshit rant with some rediculous alternative just to prove some totally irrelevant point:  http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php?title=Serial_Hack&oldid=5606

Great to see the wiki go to hell like this, keep up the good work.  In fact I think we need more people who have nothing to contribute except for screwing up other peoples contributions.  Nothing like "solving" things with the delete button, what an awesome way to "work together".  Now excuse me if I don't feel like holding hands and singing kumbaya.

-- Anonymous

Samme

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2007, 06:57:55 pm »
Well, if that's the way you want it, it's up to you  :-(

But I do hope you will reconsider cause the wiki really needs devoted people like you.

Speaking of guidelines, there are general guidelines how you edit a wiki and if we stick to them we'll be more productive in the end instead of arguing.

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2007, 08:15:07 am »
So somebody adds this to a wiki page: ::)

Let's all join in the mis-understanding of Wiki and this page. How do you want to edit a file today?

I think this would be cool.

perl -e 'print "#!/bin/bash\n\ntree -fi /dev | grep ttyS\ntree -fi /dev | grep ttyUSB"' > /usr/pluto/bin/ListSerialPorts.sh

What do you all think about that coolness? It's all on a single line so it can be edited unlike the Zaerc version. Perl is widespread and easy to type. Probably it could just be copied and pasted. Wow that's sweet.

Anyway, I doubt that AVJohn was asking for contributions as to how to edit a dang file. Probably, since the page is called "Serial Hack", he was asking if there was a better way to fix the serial situation, rather than editing a file. But that's no matter, I think that everyone should become smarter for reading this blog on the main page. Is't it great!

Cheers to all!

Zaerc - I've added content, so you should feel good about that. I know that in your mind all additions are good additions and deserve a place on a Wiki page. Removing blather like this would be horrific so I'm sure this will stay here for a long time.

Trout 07:10, 23 September 2007 (MST)

And then you feel the need to lecture me like this: ???
Keep the articles clean and use the discussion-pages for...ahh, discussions!

Well, if that's the way you want it, good luck "working" together, you guys make such a cute couple.  :P
-- Anonymous

Samme

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2007, 11:32:24 am »
I just said that we should keep the talk where it obviously belongs.

This is my last post regarding this topic as it leads no further.

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2007, 02:51:48 pm »
I just said that we should keep the talk where it obviously belongs.

This is my last post regarding this topic as it leads no further.

So now that it's becoming clear that you actually prefer to encourage this kind of behavior, you run off with your tail between your legs.  Gee what a surprise.  ::)
-- Anonymous

Hagen

• Guru
  • LMCE wannabe user
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2007, 11:05:12 am »
I was getting ready to put some info into the Wiki, but I have to agree with Zaerk...
WTF is happening?!

Rogue "admins" have no place on a wiki.

I vote for Zaerc as admin!

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2007, 01:51:46 pm »
Thanks for your support it means a lot to me, aparently nobody else cares about the wiki. 

But the last thing I want to be is an admin, and I shouldn't have to be in order to make small additions without getting keelhauled like that.  Although it would be nice to have somebody that is accountable instead of encouraging people to deface pages so they can "prove a point".
-- Anonymous

Hagen

• Guru
  • LMCE wannabe user
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2007, 02:10:41 pm »
This kind of thing is excactly what made me contact you about the Wiki some time ago.
I do user documentation for a living, but still I am a bit worried about "insiders" reactions to my writing.
And deleting constructive input is what I fear the most.
What is constructive input, and who should be the judge of that?

For any and all user documentation the phrase "less is more" goes a long way.
For "more" info dig deeper, but what is really missing from the wiki is a "quick reference guide" on how to setup, install (with keyboard shortcuts for video card outputs, resolutions and the "hold the left shift after the beeps" functions). A sort of "readme.txt". And not admins for the sake of being admins...
I have unfortunately taken on another (paid) evening job this week and the next, but that is something I would love to start with when I have time.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 02:12:35 pm by Hagen »