Author Topic: Has anyone been able to get PSTN / POTS services working?  (Read 5050 times)

pixelator

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Has anyone been able to get PSTN / POTS services working?
« on: September 22, 2007, 08:23:05 am »
I am trying to set up analog phones using a FXO card.
But I think Zaptel drivers are not installed.

zttools and ztcfg commands both fail with "command not found"
this would normally imply that zaptel is not installed.

If anyone has zaptel working with analog phones, could you please share your experience in setting it up.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2007, 11:31:54 pm by pixelator »

jondecker76

• Alumni
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone been able to get analog phones working?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2007, 02:37:48 pm »
try

sudo apt-get zaptel, zaptel-source

these are the only two zaptel packages in Ubuntu that I'm aware of..  you may need to compile the zaptel-source kernel driver, but i'm not sure on that one...

bulek

• Administrator
  • Living with LMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2007, 11:52:49 pm »
Hi,

I could be wrong, but AFAIK FXO is for connecting to telephone LINE and FXS interface is for connecting to analog PHONE....

Regards,

Bulek.
Thanks in advance,

regards,

Bulek.

pixelator

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2007, 04:24:18 am »
Hi,

I could be wrong, but AFAIK FXO is for connecting to telephone LINE and FXS interface is for connecting to analog PHONE....

Regards,

Bulek.
sorry.. I meant analog lines (PSTN - POTS).
I have an fxo card that will accept my land line service (pstn - pots line) and manage the calls using LMCE.

before posting, I executed apt-get install zaptel, but doing this will uninstall the asterisk packages installed with LMCE.

The same problem exists with pluto where I was able to compile zaptel myself, but trying the same process with LMCE fails probably due to some difference between Debian and Kubuntu.

I was just looking for anyone who has it working with lmce.

bulek

• Administrator
  • Living with LMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2007, 11:05:31 am »
I'm not sure if this is an option for you, but I use Sipura 3000 (FXO, FXS) and I don't have any problems with zaptel mess up in LMCE or Pluto.

Regards,

Bulek.
Thanks in advance,

regards,

Bulek.

pixelator

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2007, 11:29:31 pm »
I'm not sure if this is an option for you, but I use Sipura 3000 (FXO, FXS) and I don't have any problems with zaptel mess up in LMCE or Pluto.

Regards,

Bulek.

@Bulek
I had a look at that sipura 3000. Looks like that takes the pstn pots and hand off ethernet back to the internal network. Is that correct?
If so, I don't think that requires the zaptel driver and uses SIP instead. PLEASE.. correct me if i"m wrong..

I havent had a chance to play with the telephony features in LMCE, but I plan on testing zap channels using the AMP config pages. I did have zaptel working with Pluto before switching to LMCE, but that required building zaptel myself. Anyway, I need to poke at this a bit more and see what I can find out.

BTW.. How well does that sipura 3000 work with connecting your pstn service. Do you have any issues with it?

teedge77

• Addicted
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone been able to get PSTN / POTS services working?
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2007, 12:21:53 am »
pixelator, what card are you using? i have a digium TDM400P card ive been trying to get working with no luck at all. im new to linux and have been too busy to get back to it. i did get some trunks set up and stuff. i only ever got the 7970 to be registered in asterisk one time. it didnt actually ever work for me though. hopefully you could shed some light on it for those of us that have tried a little with no success.
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
Asus M2V Via AM2 ATX
Lite-On LH-20A1S SATA DVD Burner
80GB  SATA-150
EVGA GeForce 7300 GT 512MB DDR2 PCI Express
Sound Blaster Audigy SE
Kingston 2 GB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz
Ultra X-Finity 800-Watt
ZCU000
Cisco 7970
TDM400P

bulek

• Administrator
  • Living with LMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2007, 09:43:01 am »

Regards,

Bulek.

@Bulek
I had a look at that sipura 3000. Looks like that takes the pstn pots and hand off ethernet back to the internal network. Is that correct?
If so, I don't think that requires the zaptel driver and uses SIP instead. PLEASE.. correct me if i"m wrong..

I havent had a chance to play with the telephony features in LMCE, but I plan on testing zap channels using the AMP config pages. I did have zaptel working with Pluto before switching to LMCE, but that required building zaptel myself. Anyway, I need to poke at this a bit more and see what I can find out.

BTW.. How well does that sipura 3000 work with connecting your pstn service. Do you have any issues with it?
Sipura has 1 FXO (for connection to your line) and 1 FXS (connect to your phone). You can separate those two interfaces, so FXO is incoming SIP trunk and FXS is outgoing SIP trunk.

I've used Sipura 3000 till know in my home setup (doorphone on FXS and GSM gateway on FXO) and had no problems - but this is not a typical setup. So I cannot give you real experience on Sipura 3000. AFAIK it allows a lot of settings and users have minimal complaints. Maybe you try to search for some more meaningful user experiences..

On new LMCE setup, I'll connect to analog line coming from IP VOIP gateway, so will start using SIpura in real environment.

One thing is for sure about Sipura: it has a lot of settings - nice for experienced users, but night mare for newbies...

http://asterisk.pbx.in/voip-info/wiki/index3fdf44dd4b3e59556fdc9d58ce32ef25.html?comment_page=2&page_id=1288&maxComments=10&comments_maxComments=10&comments_sort_mode=commentDate_desc&comments_style=flat

BTW, 3000 model is now replaced with 3102... but only with slight differences...
HTH,

regards,

Bulek.

Thanks in advance,

regards,

Bulek.

pixelator

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone been able to get PSTN / POTS services working?
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2007, 08:25:58 am »
pixelator, what card are you using? i have a digium TDM400P card ive been trying to get working with no luck at all. im new to linux and have been too busy to get back to it. i did get some trunks set up and stuff. i only ever got the 7970 to be registered in asterisk one time. it didnt actually ever work for me though. hopefully you could shed some light on it for those of us that have tried a little with no success.

I use an X100P card (single FXO) to accept a line from the PSTN. I had everything working fine under pluto after I built my own zaptel drivers/modules. But... apparently, some of the pre-requisite packages for building under Kubuntu are different than Pluto's Debian. I haven't had any luck getting it to work yet.. but I'm getting close.

I can't understand why it's not available with the default install.

@Bulek:
thanks for the info on the sipura..