Author Topic: qustion about usb/network drive  (Read 3508 times)

lightsoul

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
qustion about usb/network drive
« on: October 06, 2007, 04:30:55 pm »
hi,
 i have made some share folder and its added to LMCE but nothing show up when accessing video from menu, also the problem exist when attaching USB Hard drive to LMCE. i know the problem related to the Directories structure!!
i'm not familiar with Linux so please be patient!!!!
i read this topic but still didn't get it http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/How_are_media_files_organized%3F

ok from the root of the USB HD NTFS what folder should i create (my understanding i crate anything such c:\AAA) then what folder should i creat in the LMCE to map it.

thanks guys,

Hagen

• Guru
  • LMCE wannabe user
    • View Profile
Re: qustion about usb/network drive
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2007, 04:50:47 pm »
An NTFS formatted external disc woun't work directly on the core (or any Linux boxes), it must either be hooked up to a windows machine and set as share, or reformatted to a file system Linux can write to (Linux can read NTFS, but not write to it, therefore LMCE can't use it)
(NTFS will be supported later this month with the release of Kubuntu 0710).

How did you make the share folders?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2007, 04:53:15 pm by Hagen »

lightsoul

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2007, 07:21:46 pm »
Hagen thanks for instant response and useful information, i spent tow days diging for that.

i had seen there was an update and it asked me to press ok then i saw that message saying "now NTFS mounted supported" so is that included in that update (just four days ago) or its showing to me it is coming soon. i forget what exactly the message.

so when it is supporting NTFS, can we just use manage drives from the Orbiter menu.

thanks and wan to hear from others 

Hagen

• Guru
  • LMCE wannabe user
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2007, 07:41:23 pm »
It's possible, the means to mount an NTFS drive is available, but not yet baked into the Ubunut/Kubuntu distribution.
Like I said, Linux has been able to see/mount/read NTFS for some time, but writing to NTFS has not been supported until now.

I have my external HDD on a windows machine acting as a file server for everything in the house, works like a charm.

lightsoul

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2007, 07:45:43 pm »
Hagen, thanks again and i really need to do that same with what u have, i couldn't mount the windows shared drive. how u did that what should i do to let my share mounted in LMCE.
thanks for helping

lightsoul

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2007, 01:17:37 am »
i have also one problem that i can't and don't want to change (one NIC on LMCE with no DHCP), i have my wireless modem/router which is working fine with any wireless and eth link to internet and between my PC. if i make DHCP on LMCE this means i will not SHUTDOWN LMCE or will end up with problem with my home netwrok. my modem is stable and has everything for the network ;D.

???if i have LMCE to control my home network with two NIC, i have to build the system with very fast and costly hardware to make sure it will handle everything like Firewall, DHCP, Proxy to internet, and without any interruption if while i play Video or media.

so the question here, am i bale to mount the windows share folder in LMCE even i have one NIC with no DHCP.

thanks

lightsoul

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2007, 03:11:01 am »
now i got some of my shared windows folder recognized by LMCE but some files are not showing only a few files, should i create sub-folder  with spicifc names to let LMCE read the files?

Hagen

• Guru
  • LMCE wannabe user
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2007, 07:46:52 am »
You could do a search for "files" on this forum.