Author Topic: Linear media list  (Read 4797 times)

ferguscan

• View Profile
Linear media list
« on: September 22, 2007, 05:02:28 am »
I have a bunch of media on my hard drive.  I have every single available episode of the following TV programs: The Simpsons, Seinfeld, Scrubs,  The Sopranos, etc.  I have a bunch of other media files besides.

When I import these media into LinuxMCE, they get shown as one gigantic linear list.  What's more, their names in that list are simply their base file names (xxxx.avi), not taking into account their on-disk directory structure.

This arrangement doesn't work very well.  Most of the files start with the letter S, or with a number.  And they become impossible to navigate.

Does LinuxMCE support multi-leveled media lists?  If not, how does everyone else get around this problem?

Thanks,

Stuart

elspic

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Linear media list
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2007, 08:37:56 am »
Stuart, I've got the same problem, and haven't found a solution yet. If you're going to try to implement something, I'd suggest taking a look at jinzora which gives you the option of scanning by tag or file structure when you import media. It might give you a code-base to start with. If you do come up with a patch, let me know.

nosilla99

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2007, 11:49:12 am »
If you organise your media by directory folders then you can select sort by filename on the media screens this makes navigation much easier

NOS

Hagen

• Guru
  • LMCE wannabe user
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2007, 08:00:44 pm »
click "options" select "sort by filename" (or something like that) and "go"
I thought it sounded stupid at first (sorry Zaerk), but it does work, and it will sort the media until by filename until you quite the session (restart router, core or MD)

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2007, 11:49:22 pm »
I take a different approach.

I make a DVD with menus, and schlorp the episodes onto that disc by season.

I also take advantage of the fact that I'm not storing this onto a disc, but rather onto the hard disks on the core, so the images for these are larger.

It does clean up the list quite a bit. :-)

-Thom

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2007, 11:58:21 pm »
also, use the attributes in the web admin to your advantage.... you can create Genres... use this to group TV related shows, for example..be creative.

(I can hear you all whining now....puh-leeze.. if you don't like it... write another one... the media center was meant to hold MOVIES and RECORDED TV PROGRAMS (on a limited basis, watch a few, delete em)...)

-Thom

lightsoul

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2007, 01:49:19 am »
Thom are you a developer of LMCE, you said "the media center was meant to hold MOVIES and RECORDED TV PROGRAMS (on a limited basis,"
if you are that is ok, but if not i should tell you that there is almost 20 MCE in the world and if LMCE didn't give us all that function we will find it someday with others then the big efforts in LMCE will be forgotten.

teedge77

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2007, 04:32:07 pm »
puh-leeze..hes most certainly not a developer for LMCE.
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
Asus M2V Via AM2 ATX
Lite-On LH-20A1S SATA DVD Burner
80GB  SATA-150
EVGA GeForce 7300 GT 512MB DDR2 PCI Express
Sound Blaster Audigy SE
Kingston 2 GB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz
Ultra X-Finity 800-Watt
ZCU000
Cisco 7970
TDM400P