Author Topic: Shared folders disappearing and network weirdness  (Read 3874 times)

hobbes487

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Shared folders disappearing and network weirdness
« on: September 21, 2007, 08:49:43 pm »
I have just set up a software RAID array using the pluto admin page.  I want to share some of the directories on this array on my samba network.  I set it up and it works great until i restart the core.  Whenever I restart the share disappears and I have to set it up again in System Settings.  Anyone else have this problem or know how to fix this?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2007, 11:06:00 pm by hobbes487 »

slamMan

• View Profile
Re: Shared folders disappearing
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2007, 10:08:30 pm »
I have a similar problem with windows shares, only they just seem to unmount themselves (It doesn't take a restart to lose them). I have read somewhere on these boards that it is believed to be a problem with cifs. I don't know if that is the same problem you are experiencing or not. I would check what filesystem is being used for sharing that drive. If it is cifs then this is probably caused by the same thing. I am not aware of any fix for this other than hacking around linux MCE. Search on CIFS for more info.

It is a very frustrating problem. In my case the files are showing up, but when you go to play them the cannot be found. When I check the problem the device is not mounted, however through the Kubuntu desktop I can navigate to the share so it definately is available.

hobbes487

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Shared folders disappearing and network weirdness
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2007, 10:42:05 pm »
I think we are talking about different things.  My array is on the core, so it doesn't have any problems mounting it every time i reboot.  It just removes it from the list of shared folders.

I am also experiencing weird activity while transferring files to the core over the network.  When I have the share set up and I begin transferring files to it, it works ok for about 5 minutes and then freezes and I can't reconnect to the share.  I go back to the core and click on view IP address on the lmce launcher and i get an error saying it can't get IP.  It's like transferring files causes the core to lose connection.  And the only way to get it back is to restart.  Also, when this happens, sometimes the core goes to a black screen and start spitting out the error: "EXT3-fs error (device sdd1): ext3_find_entry: reading directory # 6987695865" over and over again
« Last Edit: September 21, 2007, 11:10:25 pm by hobbes487 »

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2007, 11:19:29 pm »
I think the problem is that the core was intended as the heart of a pluto-home system, not as your friendly neigborhood fileserver.  So the Samba config file is probably being overwritten by linuxmce on every boot, that is likely how the system was designed.

As for the shares and partitions not being mounted all the time, they are mounted and unmounted on the fly when needed using autofs iirc. 
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

bulek

• Administrator
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
  • Living with LMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2007, 11:56:34 pm »
Hi,

maybe not of much help, but I think that for some config files there are templates that are used to form real config files on each boot. So if you make changes there, they will stay till next update.... I used templates for exports.conf and for samba if I remember right...

HTH,

regards,

Bulek.

Thanks in advance,

regards,

Bulek.

rdmustang

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2008, 01:57:53 am »
Is there any more info on this problem?  Until my MCE setup is 100% complete I'm still using XBMC to connect back to my Myth box (which is now my MCE box) but this requires a samba share to be set up.  I can get it set up and it works.  I even edited every smb.conf on the system (even the Pluto templates) but the real smb.conf file gets reset after every reboot.

caiman

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2008, 05:40:56 pm »
Have you modified the template like Bulek suggested ?
I think it's the one in /usr/pluto/templates/smb.conf.template

I'm doing this for /etc/fstab and /etc/exports and it seems to work well.
Sam

rdmustang

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2008, 12:36:51 am »
Yes, I added the following just under the [public] entry in /usr/pluto/templates/smb.conf.template

[mythtv]
        browseable = yes
        writable = no
        path = /home/public/data/videos/tv_shows_1
        public = yes

But when I reboot that section is not in /etc/samba/samba.conf

Any suggestions?  I'm desperate :)

rdmustang

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2008, 02:30:22 am »
I found a solution (cheesy as it might be).

I found that the following file creates the smb.conf file upon boot:
/usr/pluto/bin/Network_Setup.sh

I created a file called smb.mythtv which contains the code I want to put into smb.conf.

Inside Network_Setup.sh I put in this line right before the service is started:
cat /etc/samba/smb.mythtv >> /etc/samba/smb.conf

Not eloquent but it works.  If anyone have a more eloquent solution I'm all ears but in the meantime I'm up and running :)  Thanks for the suggestions!