Author Topic: Windows Orbiter error after 2.0.0.28  (Read 13479 times)

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Windows Orbiter error after 2.0.0.28
« on: August 26, 2005, 09:41:41 am »
After uptdating Pluto to 2.0.0.28 I get an error message when launching Win Orbiter.

After upgrade I've downloaded the new Win Orbiter installer, uninstalled previous one and then installed the new one.

The error message is:
Unable to download UpdateBinary to the specified folder. Please check if the 'Path' device data is correct.

Pressing "OK" button makes this error disappear and Orbiter starts normally.

I've looked at the directory where Orbiter has been installed on my pc (running XP Pro SP2), and UpdateBinary.exe is there. In Orbiter.conf I did not see any 'Path' variable.

It is not a major issues as long as Orbiter runs anyway, nevertheless I'm not sure that this situation is correct.

Can you give me some info on this?

Thanks in advance and regards
Marco

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Orbiter
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2005, 10:52:23 am »
Hi Marco,

Orbiter has a device data called "Path" (go to pluto-admin website and click on your orbiter device, then scroll down on the bottom of the page). First, Orbiter tries to download UpdateBinary application to that Path. If it fails, it tries to download it in Orbiter's folder, which should always succeed. Can you send me Orbiter’s log file located on Orbiter's folder ? My email is chris.m (address@plutohome.com).

Thanks,
Chris M.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Orbiter
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2005, 11:17:29 am »
Thank you for your mail. It seems that Orbiter tried to download the 'UpdateBinary' application to this folder (Orbiter's folder):

01 08/26/05 9:28:55.796 Failed to save the UpdateBinary application to location 'C:/Programmi/Pluto/Orbiter/' <00353A78>

The only reason not to do it is to have a firewall/an antivirus enabled. What is the size of UpdateBinary from Orbiter's folder ?

Please try stop for a min that firewall/antivirus and restart Orbiter. It should try to update again and succeed.

Regards,
Chris M.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Windows Orbiter error after 2.0.0.28
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2005, 07:38:16 pm »
Sorry Chris ....

It was my mistake. After reinstalling the new orbiter I was pointing it to the wrong device number, i.e to a device number related to a On Screen Orbiter that obviously has not 'Path' device.

Pointing to the proper device number solved the issue.

Sorry again and regards.
Marco

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Upgrade
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2005, 08:16:38 am »
Hi Marco,

You don't have to reinstall Windows XP/CE orbiters every time you get a new release from Pluto. The orbiters have a built-in self update mechanism: each time you're restarting them, they are comparing the file from the server with the one used locally; if the files are different, the orbiters spawn an application called UpdateBinary/UpdateBinaryCE which downloads the latest binary from the core and then restart the orbiter. ;)

Regards,
Chris M.