Author Topic: Audio not in sync with DVD and/or ripped DVD videos  (Read 10534 times)

scorf

• View Profile
Audio not in sync with DVD and/or ripped DVD videos
« on: September 21, 2007, 06:08:23 am »
My audio (when playing either ripped DVDs or DVD drive based videos) is slightly off.  It seems a little worse when playing DVD's.  By slightly off I mean fractions of a second, but noticeable by all in the house.

Audio is in sync when watching both live and recorded Mythtv.

Can anyone help or point me in the right direction.  I'm (pleasantly) surprised to see this isn't shared by many.

Asus M2NPV-VM
Dual core AMD
Analog audio out from the motherboard (I have the digital out, but not in use yet)
HD component out from the motherboard
1080i
Plasma: Panny

scorf

• View Profile
Re: Audio not in sync with DVD and/or ripped DVD videos
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2007, 07:46:49 pm »
Switched from analog/stereo to digital/optical -- no help.   Still don't know why my audio is out of sync.   :(

1audio

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2007, 07:04:26 am »
Lipsync is a common problem with many digital video systems. Many people are not sensitive to it until its pointed out, then they are really bothered by it. I was at a seminar with several major mixing engineers from Hollywood. they all complained that its not well managed.

Is the shift constant or changing from disk to disk? Can you tell? The published sensitivity to this is 20 mS but I'm not satisfied with that number. . .

There are technologies coming to improve it (HDMI 1.3 lip-sync has mechanisms to sort this out IF they are implemented right) For now there are adjustments in Xine for fixing this but they are not readily available. On a keyboard "n" and "m" should adjust it. But since Xine in LMCE has been majorly tweaked I don't know if they work. It would be worth a bug report.

scorf

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2007, 05:34:28 am »
1audio -- do you see this with your implementation(s)?

It seems pretty constant from disk to disk.  It's so subtle that most don't notice until I point it out.

I can live with it... although, it's just another straw on the camel's back so to speak.  The good still outweighs the bad.

1audio

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2007, 08:11:18 am »
Yes, its its not consistent. I'm watching KVille and its consistently inconsistent.

golgoj4

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • hrumpf!
    • View Profile
    • Mah Website
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2007, 02:03:21 am »
Anyone figured out a solution for this yet? I would like to rip the dvd's but this is killing me. As a former sound mixer, sync issues are a killer for me.

Linuxmce - Where everyone is never wrong, but we are always behind xbmc in the media / ui department.

golgoj4

• hrumpf!
    • View Profile
    • Mah Website
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2007, 08:07:15 am »
not sure if this is related, but I found this while trying to track this problem down on the interwebs.

http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-338191.html

maybe when the next update is fixed it wont happen? xine player is used locally in these situations so maybe its this library?

the dumb part of me wants to try and fix it manually. the smart part of me knows i would have to be lucky to...
hmm ;)
Linuxmce - Where everyone is never wrong, but we are always behind xbmc in the media / ui department.

golgoj4

• hrumpf!
    • View Profile
    • Mah Website
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2007, 09:07:35 pm »
ok, does anyone know if I would break my current linuxMCE install if I follow the instructions in the link above on fixing the a/v sync issues?

1audio

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2007, 09:11:47 am »
Xine has been customized for LMCE and you will have a mess on your hands if you muck with it. I hear that Xine will be replaced in the next release any week now so just wait.

golgoj4

• hrumpf!
    • View Profile
    • Mah Website
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2007, 05:51:19 pm »
Xine has been customized for LMCE and you will have a mess on your hands if you muck with it. I hear that Xine will be replaced in the next release any week now so just wait.

thats what I decided to do. Im not qualified to go messing around with the guts...yet  8)

MrJohnBravo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2007, 03:58:20 pm »
Count me in on another one of those having this issue. The offset is not large ... but it is noticable. IF Xine is the issue, does ANyone know when the new 7.10 release is going to be errr... released? Also if Xine is being replaced ... what will be the replacement?

MrJohnBravo

Ohh.. mama!!!!

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2007, 06:32:09 pm »
as far as i got it for now the xine wrapper simply uses libxine without modifications. Xine won't be replaced for now. Mplayer was added as an additional media player.

best regards,
Hari
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation

MrJohnBravo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2007, 09:54:40 pm »
is mplayer any better with sync issues?

MrJohnBravo

Ohhh MAMA!!!

golgoj4

• hrumpf!
    • View Profile
    • Mah Website
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2007, 04:00:53 am »
Any news of this problem being fixed in 0710?

jonsnipes

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2008, 04:02:56 pm »
im having a very noticble difference..  like watching old jackie chan movies...  i tried playing the files through xine and mplayer on kde and the sync problems arent noticible..  perhaps lmce is causing the delay??
-Jon