Author Topic: howto: french translation  (Read 29696 times)

deffcon

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: howto: french translation
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2007, 08:07:06 pm »
Hi,

I made an mini howto on http://mantis.linuxmce.org/view.php?id=3698

I'm nearly done with the translation from english to dutch, i'm sure this mini howto works for you guys for the french language.

Au revoir,

Dave

domotiqa.com

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • home automation
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2008, 09:56:37 am »
hello both,

nite_man: yes on the main screen of the orbiter! If you're wright, do you know where the pictures are stored?
Yes your translation will replace the english one ! The other solution is to add a langage in langage table (ID 3 for example), then to change the second parameters to the wright ID of the langage table (3)

INSERT INTO `Text_LS` (`FK_Text`, `FK_Language`, `Description`, `psc_id`, `psc_batch`, `psc_user`, `psc_frozen`, `psc_mod`, `psc_restrict`) VALUES
(317, 3, 'Mehr', 3, NULL, NULL, 0, '0000-00-00 00:00:00', NULL),
(318, 1, 'Drop Call', 4, NULL, NULL, 0, '0000-00-00 00:00:00', NULL),

3 are deutsch, 1 is english !
Then restart system !

deffcon: does your translation translate all terms ?? Or do you have some word still in english ? Or did it come from the TextCategory table ?
http://www.domotiqa.com - home automation

chriss

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2008, 10:42:25 am »
Hey Guys,
we had a discussion about tranlsating LMCE on the dev mailing list, too. Michal is working on a Czech translation, Michael is working on a Russian translation and I finished a German (re)translation (the old one sucked a bit).

Michal also pointed out some problems with the character sets, i.e. the text fields in the database are latin1_swedish but treated as being utf-8. Michal also offered to improve utf-8 handling.

Cheers,
/Chriss

nite_man

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • Want to work with LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
    • Smart Home Blog
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2008, 01:35:02 pm »
nite_man: yes on the main screen of the orbiter! If you're wright, do you know where the pictures are stored?

Have a look here - /usr/pluto/orbiter/skins/Basic/
Michael Stepanov,
My setup: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Nite_man#New_setup
Russian LinuxMCE community: http://linuxmce.ru

Matthew

• Douchebag
  • Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2008, 09:36:13 pm »
Are all of the strings in LMCE that can be translated all in records in the database? None are hardcoded into, say, C++ (or Ruby, or other language) code, or in HTML files, etc? Of course the bundled apps (like Asterisk, MythTV, etc) each have their own translation processes, but if LMCE's text is all in the DB, that's yet another win for LMCE (and its programmers/translators).

Now, if only the GUI styles were all factored into stylesheets and interchangeable skin templates...

chriss

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2008, 11:44:35 pm »
Are all of the strings in LMCE that can be translated all in records in the database? None are hardcoded into, say, C++ (or Ruby, or other language) code, or in HTML files, etc?
Unfortunately not all strings are in the DB...  :( But this can be fixed, I guess.

Matthew

• Douchebag
  • Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2008, 01:14:03 am »
Are all of the strings in LMCE that can be translated all in records in the database? None are hardcoded into, say, C++ (or Ruby, or other language) code, or in HTML files, etc?
Unfortunately not all strings are in the DB...  :( But this can be fixed, I guess.
Is there a simple description of where the rest are, or a simple technique (or a script written) to find them? Seems to me that whole files like HTML need not be stuffed into the DB (though I do like the idea), but rather just stored in file blobs that the DB points to, so the DB can point to a translated set of them when they exist, and just switch in the DB to set language.

chriss

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2008, 11:00:27 am »
Well, there's some other tables in the DB holding strings for different parts of LMCE, i.e. not all text is stored in Text/Text_LS. Furthermore there are hard coded string arrays for orbiter generation (Michal Wokoun pointed that out on the mailing list). Because of that I see two steps that need to be done for full translation:
  • Modify the code to move those hard coded arrays into the DB
  • Find a way to translate all strings stored in the DB, either by
    • defining overlay tables for all tables or by
    • modifiying the DB and the code to have all strings in a single table (the better way, I think)

edit: BTW, I didn't spot those ugly arrays yet, i.e. if anybody has an idea... ;)

Matthew

• Douchebag
  • Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2008, 04:09:25 pm »
Well, there's some other tables in the DB holding strings for different parts of LMCE, i.e. not all text is stored in Text/Text_LS. Furthermore there are hard coded string arrays for orbiter generation (Michal Wokoun pointed that out on the mailing list). Because of that I see two steps that need to be done for full translation:
  • Modify the code to move those hard coded arrays into the DB
  • Find a way to translate all strings stored in the DB, either by
    • defining overlay tables for all tables or by
    • modifiying the DB and the code to have all strings in a single table (the better way, I think)

edit: BTW, I didn't spot those ugly arrays yet, i.e. if anybody has an idea... ;)

If every translatable string could be found, then a simple script could use, say, Google translate to translate LMCE into each of its many different languages. The translations would suck, but LMCE would at least be gotten over the border to the other language, wherein it could be much more easily "debugged" for style and accuracy by a native speaker who doesn't actually know English. Probably 90% of the translation time could be automated, the initial version would probably be (barely) usable by foreign speakers, and a much larger pool of "translation debuggers" could work on the rest, than tackle the initial job of actual translation. Could make LMCE global in one go.

chriss

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2008, 05:40:13 pm »
The original German translation looked like it was done by google or some automated way. Basically I agree that it could be done, but I preferred using the English strings to retranslate and not use the German strings - about 50% of them were totally unsusable.

domotiqa.com

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • home automation
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2008, 06:35:24 pm »
enrique.lopez
Bonjour, je suis de pret la traduccion au francias et je voudrai savoir si tu reussi. Je voudrai traduir a l'espagnol et surtout si il est possible de choisir la langue au demarrage de chaque MD.
Merci d'avance.
Hy, in fact I still have some words still english ! I'll look to the picturesq path, to see what I can change !
You can change langage for orbiter by the pluto-admin website ! To create a langage file , you have to add it in the langage table of lmce mysql db then modify text LS tabmle with the index created in the langage table!
Some words look also to be in text category and in the path as nite man explained !
cu
http://www.domotiqa.com - home automation

chris64

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2008, 12:27:06 pm »
Hy, I'm french too

Sorry for my poor english ...

-> DOMOTICA :
What is your percent of traslation ? you have finished ? DO you need some help ?
How can i help , whitch part is not translate ?
Is-it possible to share our work to the french linuxmce community ?
Should we ask to linuxmce developper to put this work of translation for futur build ?

Correct me if i'm wrong, but i think linuxmce is based on applications ( MythTV, Xine, Asterisk, Pluto, ... ) who have french translation. So, we juste translate scripts who joint these application ?

Thank you for your help.

jesaipa

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2008, 02:24:57 pm »
Me too I'm french

If I can help ...

It will be nice if there is a french community for lmce
Anybody are interested to create/participate ?

Tigre-Bleu

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2008, 02:42:08 pm »
I am also french and would be happy to participate in a french translation.

My question may be stupid, but I have just have discovered launchpad (https://translations.launchpad.net/) and think it's a great way to help localisation. What about using such an application for LinuxMCE?

chris64

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2008, 05:11:24 pm »
Our lmce french users community grow up !

->Tigre-Bleu : I didn't know launchpad, it seem to be a good way for translate a project. I'm more newbee than you !

If we want to translate lmce, i think we shoud work on the beta version (0710 beta 3).

I'm not a team leader and i have never participate to  a developpement project. So I dont' kow how can we organise and dispatch the work. someone has idees ?