Author Topic: Suggestion to improve MythTV reliability maybe easy to implement in Linuxmce  (Read 3114 times)

jeff_rigby

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Since I have read that Linuxmce does not use memory over 1 gig could you perhaps use 500 meg of any additional memory as a RAM drive and automatically have myth TV use this drive instead of the HD for the 5 min FF-REW feature.  This would dramatically improve performance for the core when using mythTV and help many of those slower MD computers. 

I've noticed the problem that MythTV has with this feature on PCs running "Windows" with ATI ATSC tuners and the software for "Windows" that comes with this tuner.  It's not MythTV (software) but the speed of the HD that creates the problem. 

From what I have been able to figure out; 500 MEG will easily store 5 min of HD digital, maybe two 720p HD streams or 4 480p SD streams.

With the cost of RAM being about $20 for 512 meg DDR2 this makes sense economically.

chriss

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Since I have read that Linuxmce does not use memory over 1 gig...

Where did you read that? Why should it be like that, I mean, LMCE is just a bunch of Linux applications and Linux will use more than 1 GB of RAM...

Cheers
/Chriss

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
LinuxMCE not using anything above 1GiB is not true, but this is an interesting idea nevertheless.  Shouldn't be to hard to create a ramdisk and mount it over wherever MythTV dumps it's temporary files.  And if you have 2GiB or more it probably won't hurt at all.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

chriss

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Zearc,
that's exactley what I've been thinking about when I read about this MythTV buffering stuff. I will probably look into it during the next days

chewi

• Veteran
    • View Profile
As far as I understand Linux, all the free RAM, it has is actually used to buffer the harddisk. So what you are proposing is allready implemented by 80%.
And what are you going to do if someone hits Pause during live-tv for a toilet-breake ? you would have to move the file from ramdisk to harddisk on the fly whilst it is still open; that won't work.