Author Topic: Unable to add Child Device CM11A  (Read 3860 times)

martrw

• View Profile
Unable to add Child Device CM11A
« on: September 19, 2007, 06:07:49 am »
First Install of MCE, DVD install, Version 2.0.0.44.0708032200(?)

Trying to add CM11A

LinuxMCE Admin Page > Device Tree > The Core/Hybrid > Create Child Device > Pick Device Template > Category(81) Template(48) > Close ...

No device is ever added to the tree.  Should there be a Save button in addition to the Close?

What am I missing?

Rob

nite_man

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • Want to work with LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
    • Smart Home Blog
Re: Unable to add Child Device CM11A
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2007, 10:29:47 am »
After you pickup a desired device template you should specify some parameters (if it's needed) in the pop-up window and press button 'Save' there. Also try to refresh a tree of devices. But you can add CM11 by another way. Go to Wizard --> Interfaces and do the same operation (pickup template, save properties etc) from there. After that you should see CM11 in the interface page.
Michael Stepanov,
My setup: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Nite_man#New_setup
Russian LinuxMCE community: http://linuxmce.ru

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2007, 12:32:11 pm »
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

martrw

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2007, 05:54:43 pm »

After you pickup a desired device template you should specify some parameters (if it's needed) in the pop-up window and press button 'Save' there.

Took a look again this AM.  There is no popup window after specifying the device template.  The only available option after specifying device template is "Close".  I have never seen the pop-up window with the "Save" option.

martrw

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2007, 05:39:34 am »
Tried both the nite_man and Zaerc methods of access.  No luck.

Did take a look at the sound card device already installed in the Core/Hybrid tree and can see the Advanced screen where the Device Data is added and a Save button is available.

This screen never shows up during the Add Child or Add Interface process.

What is broke?

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2007, 12:27:25 pm »
There is no "Save" Button in that screen, try "Pick device template" instead of "Close".
-- Anonymous

martrw

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2007, 05:13:34 am »
Finally figured out what I was missing.   Zaerc's instructions are nearly perfect.  I am completely dense, however.  Quoting from line 2 of his Setup:

Create Child Device->Pick Device template->CM11A

is missing one step:

Create Child Device->Pick Device template->CM11A->Pick Device Template

which finally gives the Device Data screen to complete installation.

However, I am experiencing the same probs as the related post "RF Signal Problems - Bug in Pluto" which doesn't seem to be resolved.  The CM11A works for a short time and then no longer functions.  It will lock up and overheat if not unplugged.  Works fine with Misterhouse.

If anyone knows a solution to this issue  please post.

Rob

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2007, 12:12:28 pm »
Please feel free to add the extra step to the page, that's what the wiki is for.  It is hard to make instructions perfect once you have already figured everything out.  So I just added the basic steps hoping that people will expand them with the things that aren't clear to them.

As for the RF signal problems, I don't use X10 RF myself so I have no experience with that, but have you seen this: http://smart-home-blog.com/archives/726#comments (also linked on the page) it seems to deal with that specific problem.  If that works for you then I think it should be added to the wiki as well (or even better yet integrated into the next release), but I can't test it properly myself.
-- Anonymous