Author Topic: dhcp seems to work but my media director box doesn't boot up  (Read 8888 times)

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
dhcp seems to work but my media director box doesn't boot up
« on: August 24, 2005, 10:12:36 pm »
Hi

Got a Biostar Ideq 200n computer as a media center (windows at the mo) and wanted to try Pluto :D

I've installed the pluto core on my own computer (using vmware for now as I want to see how it works).  

Configured 2 net cards.

Net1: ip that can access the outside world via my router (no dhcp)
Net2: Internal ip

Once it booted up I've booted up my XP Media center and done a ipconfig /renew. It picked up the right internal ip from my server (as expected)

So, I've tried to boot up the box using the Net card as 1st boot device. I get the nvidia booting network thing but it never picks up the DHCP.

Am I missing anything ?

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2005, 10:18:44 pm »
Hi. Me again

I've just had a thought and I've created another virtual machine on VMWARE :D, I've enabled the Network boot on this machine to test it out.

Same problem though :( It tries to dettect the dhcp but I get an error saying

PXE-E53: No boot filename received

PXE-M0F: Exiting Intel XPE ROM
Operating System not found

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Re:dhcp seems to work but my media director box doesn't boot
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2005, 01:46:08 am »
I had the same issue when trying a diskless MD.
make sure you add and configure a media director on the core(instructions on the Media Director page).
the critical part is setting the mac addr(of the diskless pc) and defining address you want the diskless box to use.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2005, 02:10:06 am »
Thanks.

I thought the system used any device automatically (I guess I was wrong)

Had enough for today. 01:00 am. Time to go to bed. Will try tomorrow :D

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2005, 03:12:10 am »
I think it uses squeeze boxes and bluetooth based orbiters automatically but not media directors. I think I somehow wrecked my setup so I might rebuild as my diskless MD's no longer start x and orbiter after setup but it worked ok when i used vmware but now trying to do the same on a real pc it's gone a little haywire.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2005, 10:13:59 am »
No Please, Don't tell me that ;) I'll be scared to move away from vmware now ...

I've just tried and no luch. Went to the media directors bit on the setup. Setup the computers I'm going to use (used the mac address)

This is what I've done

Wizard - Devices - Media Directors

Added a new one with my media center mac address (00:0C:29:6D:24:FC)

Clicked update and - Setup Diskless media directors* (Both scripts executed succesfully)
sudo -u root /usr/pluto/bin/Diskless_Setup.sh
sudo -u root /usr/pluto/bin/Update_StartupScrips.sh

Then

Wizard - Restart - Quick Reload Router (got the folowing msg)

The command /usr/pluto/bin/MessageSend localhost 0 -1000 7 1 was sent

But still doesn't work.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Re:dhcp seems to work but my media director box doesn't boot
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2005, 10:22:32 am »
Hi,

You wrote;

Quote from: "apap100"
I had the same issue when trying a diskless MD.
make sure you add and configure a media director on the core(instructions on the Media Director page).
the critical part is setting the mac addr(of the diskless pc) and defining address you want the diskless box to use.

You also need to tick the 'diskless boot' check box if you want to boot from the core, use 'Set Resolution & test' to set your screen resolution and tick the software modules like Xine/VLC etc you want your media director to have access to. Then very importantly click on the 'Update' button at the bottom of the screen to save your changes. Then you need to click on the' Setup Diskless Media Directors' button next to the 'Update' button and wait for the setup process to complete. Then the final step is to go to Wizard-Restart and click the 'Quick Reload Router' button.

If the PC you want to remote boot is on (or it is off and you have set 'wake on LAN' to on) and the BIOS is set to PXE boot then it should start to boot from the core.

Regards

Andrew

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2005, 11:22:35 am »
Hi,

The only bit I didn't do was the 'Set Resolution' Everything else was fine. The 'Setup Diskless Media Directors' works ok (I've even executed it by hand using putty)

I'm out of ideas now. Unless it's something on my other computer, but the system does try to boot up using the network card as I get the msg and the searching for DHCP msg

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2005, 11:51:29 am »
Quote from: "fzurro"
Hi,

The only bit I didn't do was the 'Set Resolution' Everything else was fine. The 'Setup Diskless Media Directors' works ok (I've even executed it by hand using putty)

I'm out of ideas now. Unless it's something on my other computer, but the system does try to boot up using the network card as I get the msg and the searching for DHCP msg

A couple of things that might be worth checking;

We've found that on some motherboards if the PXE boot fails then subsequent reboots will not send the correct Mac address. Power the PC down and remove both the power and ethernet cables then reconnect them and power the machine up again. Another possibility is that you have not entered the MD's Mac address correctly (this is suprisingly easy to do!) - so double check it. The Mac address should have six values separated by colons eg something like 00:01:80:50:8e:4c

Anyway hope this helps!

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2005, 12:15:36 pm »
yeah it is a bit finicky with mac address format + you need to set ip that dhcp will give out.
also had trouble withe my pxe boot rom(intel) but once I updated the flash on the nic to pxe 2.1 it worked like a charm.
also after clicking on setup diskless media directors do a quick reload router.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2005, 12:16:09 pm »
I get this when the computer starts:

CLIENT MAC ADDR: 00 0C 29 6D 24 FC GUID: (LOADS OF NUMBERS)

It's the same values I have configured (but using : instead of space)

Is there other way I can get this working ? A CD to install ? I don't mind/care too much about using the network thing (Got loads of hard drives to spare to put on the comps ...)

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2005, 12:21:16 pm »
This is how my setup is formatted on the media directors page:
00:08:C7:39:DF:41

how old is your nic?[/img]

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2005, 12:30:43 pm »
I get this when the computer starts:

CLIENT MAC ADDR: 00 0C 29 6D 24 FC GUID: (LOADS OF NUMBERS)

It's the same values I have configured (but using : instead of space)

Is there other way I can get this working ? A CD to install ? I don't mind/care too much about using the network thing (Got loads of hard drives to spare to put on the comps ...)

You can boot from the local hard drive into Pluto but we have never tried it as PXE booting MD's is so much easier (once you get them working!) and far easier to support.

When you go to Wizard-Devices-Media Direcors and look at the entry for your MD that will not PXE boot do you see an entry for its IP address? If not try entering one (something like 192.168.80.2 should do as your Core should be on 192.168.80.1) and then clicking 'Update' (do a quick reload router as well). Then power up your PXE boot MD machine and see if that fixes the boot problem.

Cheers

Andrew

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2005, 12:36:44 pm »
Well, I've clicked all buttons 100 different times and guess what ? Worked (hehe)

It worked with my vmware media director now. Going to try with the real media director but can't 'till I get home. Will keep you posted

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2005, 01:00:35 pm »
Well, I've clicked all buttons 100 different times and guess what ? Worked (hehe)

It worked with my vmware media director now. Going to try with the real media director but can't 'till I get home. Will keep you posted

Thats great.

Andrew