Author Topic: Sucess Stories?  (Read 5717 times)

7echno7im

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
    • Techtronic.us
Sucess Stories?
« on: September 16, 2007, 08:11:58 pm »
Since forums tend to be a haven for problems, are there any success stories out there?  Best practices?  Tips?  Hardware that works tried and true out of the box?  I am hoping there are many cases like this.  Please feel free to post them here.
Timothy Stewart
www.techtronic.us

Hagen

• Guru
  • LMCE wannabe user
    • View Profile
Re: Sucess Stories?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2007, 09:06:32 am »
Hi Mr. Stewart
There are many success stories, but as you say forums are a haven for problems.
Most succes stories, tips and "best practice" will hopefully appear in the Wiki over time, as that is the place for such information.
There are allready a few entries there.

CrafyZA

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
    • my2wheels
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2007, 01:14:53 pm »
Well I have a little success story. One of the motherboards that is listed as bad hardware is working perfectly with my setup. I'm running on the Asus K8V motherboard with an AMD64 3400 CPU. A Nvidia 6600GT, with 1.5 gb of ram.
This system is running like a dream on UI2
The only problems I am having is with basic setup issues. It is more a case of I should read the user manual more.
MOBO: Asus A8V Deluxe
CPU   :AMD 64 Athalon 3500
RAM   : 1.5 GB Ram
GPU   : Nvidia 6600GT
PVR   : Leadtek Winfast XP2000
Bluetooth dongle for orbitor software on Nokia 6600
This setup works like a charm! Maybe just a little more ram ;-)

schaferj

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2007, 04:39:02 pm »
Hello,

quick thoughts:

I have a good core hybrid on a Asus P4P800 E Deluxe intel 875 / 865, socket 478.
mobo firewire to sony xl1b (200 dvd jukebox)
and four media directors on ASUS M2NPV-VM mobos.
smb shares mounted from external servers.

I suggest always creating a core hybrid (vs a pure core) since it make troubleshooting so much easier.

joseph

marrandy

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2007, 11:11:18 pm »
Well I have a little success story. One of the motherboards that is listed as bad hardware is working perfectly with my setup. I'm running on the Asus K8V motherboard with an AMD64 3400 CPU. A Nvidia 6600GT, with 1.5 gb of ram.
This system is running like a dream on UI2
The only problems I am having is with basic setup issues. It is more a case of I should read the user manual more.

???

The K8V isn't listed, but the K8V-X is.  They are different motherboards.  Unfortunately, someone keeps changing/deleting content so the reasons the K8V-X is bad isn't there.  When I tested Two M/B's with Hauggepauge PVR cards in both Linux and Windows, they fail to work.  Put  them into another asus motherboard, and they work fine in both OS's.

Hagen

• Guru
  • LMCE wannabe user
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2007, 09:55:20 am »
Here's a thread on minimum reqs
http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=1855.0
You don't need the top of the line equipent to test LMC, that can come later if you find that it's something for you.