Author Topic: not able do download packages from ftp server  (Read 4292 times)

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
not able do download packages from ftp server
« on: August 23, 2005, 07:31:18 pm »
hello, I've been trying to install a pluto test system, but it keeps failing on the "lame library" (no such file on ftp.nerim.net.......... from apt). I know that the network I'm on has a certain tendency to mess up all ftp traffic that is in passive mode, so I was wondering if apt-get uses passive mode as default, and if so, is it possible to turn it off while installing ? another problem i've encountered is that when I install using the 2.6 kernel, it fails in the "installing the coreutils" section - i don't remember the exact filename it failed on, but there seems to be a file missing on the cdrom, since apt-get uses the cdrom as a source.

I'm really looking forward to get pluto running, since I have been looking for this kind of a solution for a long time, and I hope that I've finally found it :).
btw: I saw some posts in this forum about using a Xbox as a client, can you tell if there is any progress, if so, what's the curren status  ?

added: Are the stable releases only intended for those who buy their solution from you ? I can only select the "development" version when I use the mypluto wizard.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Re: not able do download packages from ftp server
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2005, 10:22:03 am »
Quote from: "alohre"
hello, I've been trying to install a pluto test system, but it keeps failing on the "lame library" (no such file on ftp.nerim.net.......... from apt). I know that the network I'm on has a certain tendency to mess up all ftp traffic that is in passive mode, so I was wondering if apt-get uses passive mode as default, and if so, is it possible to turn it off while installing ? another problem i've encountered is that when I install using the 2.6 kernel, it fails in the "installing the coreutils" section - i don't remember the exact filename it failed on, but there seems to be a file missing on the cdrom, since apt-get uses the cdrom as a source.

There's a recent known problem with two external sites that we don't control. The next release will have some changes to use another site for those packages to prevent these problems in the future. If everything goes well, a new release should be posted in the following days. Sorry for the inconvenience.

I'm really looking forward to get pluto running, since I have been looking for this kind of a solution for a long time, and I hope that I've finally found it :).
btw: I saw some posts in this forum about using a Xbox as a client, can you tell if there is any progress, if so, what's the curren status?

Currently there is no progress on Xbox. From what I read, booting Linux on an Xbox requires some reverse engineering, and people rick getting sued for doing that. If what I just said is correct, then it's more probable that Xbox support will be done by a third party. If it's not like that, we'll probably look into it :)

added: Are the stable releases only intended for those who buy their solution from you ? I can only select the "development" version when I use the mypluto wizard.

Currently there's only a development version. The testing versions are to come soon. Development versions are still prone to breaking stuff. Testing will likely be more stable than development and receive more testing and minor fixes instead of introducing massive changes like the development version does.