Author Topic: Intermittant Internet  (Read 4434 times)

hobbes487

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Intermittant Internet
« on: September 16, 2007, 06:28:05 am »
I have linuxmce set up as my DHCP server, but I have having trouble with getting a connection with the other computers on the network.  The Windows XP computer says it in connected, while browsing the internet, it seems to only intermittently connect to the internet.  Sometimes pages load, sometimes they don't.

Anyone have any ideas why this could be happening?

Hagen

• Guru
  • LMCE wannabe user
    • View Profile
Re: Intermittant Internet
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2007, 07:56:17 am »
base 100T network or better?
Do your router also have a DHCP?
What is your router IP? many set the router IP to ***.***.***.1, LMCE does the same and will crash the IP, but you can set either manually.
That could be a reason?

I had that "problem", I set my LMCE to ip ***.***.***.10 and 100 and set the DHCP IP range from 20 to 99 for LMCE devices (just to make sure, I have equipment on 1, 2, 3 and 4).

hobbes487

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2007, 08:04:48 am »
base 100T network or better?
Do your router also have a DHCP?
What is your router IP? many set the router IP to ***.***.***.1, LMCE does the same and will crash the IP, but you can set either manually.
That could be a reason?

I had that "problem", I set my LMCE to ip ***.***.***.10 and 100 and set the DHCP IP range from 20 to 99 for LMCE devices (just to make sure, I have equipment on 1, 2, 3 and 4).

My core has dual gigabit.

I dont have my router plugged in at all.  My setup is as follows:

Cable Modem --> LMCE --> switch --> Other PCs

hobbes487

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2007, 08:16:16 am »
I just realized the ip of my XP machine is 192.168.80.253.  This is in the Range of IP addresses for non-Pluto devices.  Could this be the problem?  How do I add my computer to Pluto's database?

Also, a little more info:  This problem only happens on other PCs on the network.  The core has no connection issues.

Hagen

• Guru
  • LMCE wannabe user
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2007, 08:33:59 am »
I use a single NIC install, so I probably do not have the same problems.
Can you connect to the core from other computers, the admin site?
The external card is probably set to receive IP by DHCP from the cable modem?
Can you try to go around the switch (after LMCE) and see if that helps, reset the switch? I have had some troubles with my 3COM Wlan router/switch crashing and denying connections, so I had to get a new one.
Perhaps even try to go around LMCE? connect the modem to the switch and LMCEs internal network to a regular LAN port (single NIC install) and see if that works?

Just things of the top of my head, but you have probably tried it allready.

1audio

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2007, 08:52:26 am »
1) The IP for the XP machine is correct and it should not be recognized as a device (i.e. media director, NAS, phone, squeezebox etc.).
2) Try pinging the core's two addresses (internal and external) the cable modem (192.168.100.1) and something like yahoo.com. If the IP's work and it takes a long time to resolve the name then you may have DNS problems. I use opendns (208.67.200.200 and 208.67.222.222) to get around the problems of passing the DNS request up and down the chain.
3) try resetting the Cablemodem. Either powercycle it or access it through the address above and tell it to restart. You should have a docsis 2 cable modem. They will be faster.

hobbes487

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2007, 04:24:37 am »
I'm pretty sure it is DNS problems.  The ip's work fine, but pinging url's don't work.  I changed the dns servers on the core to use opendns, but that didn't help the other computers on the network.  I had to change the DNS servers on each individual computer to get it to work properly.  Is there a way to not have to configure each computer?

jondecker76

• Alumni
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2007, 04:38:45 am »
I had the same problem kind of. I don't have my LinuxMCE up yet, but I had a similar problem in a setup of DSL Modem->Router->PC's. I had to put the DSL modem into bridge mode and do the PPPOE settings from the router - this solved all of my intermittent Internet problems.
Maybe its a similar situation for you?