Author Topic: Energy consumption of core  (Read 19128 times)

gletscher

• View Profile
Energy consumption of core
« on: September 15, 2007, 06:06:53 pm »
When a have one of these full enterprise grade servers running 24/7h as core, what will the energy consumption be ? Will the go to a low energy standby, or is it possible to use linuxbios which should boot in 3 secs to console + wakeonlan with some sort of lan-remote to turn it on ?

Any Energy saving ideas around ?

Greetings

1audio

• Addicted
    • View Profile
Re: Energy consumption of core
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2007, 11:21:08 pm »
I thought I answered this already but I may have clicked the wrong button.

1) Core power usage (just measured) Asus M2NPV-VM AMD 4200 1 GB ram 80 GB HDD  65W idle and up to 95W playing HD video content.

I looked at Linuxbios and its interesting but no support for any of the hardware currently used for LMCE. And making a new BIOS looks pretty scary, don't want to toast a motherboard or processor.

gletscher

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2007, 01:52:57 am »
thats a hell lot of energy, my notebook running complete inc. screen takes 20W, i dont mind a the energy level during playback, just wondering how to reduce the idle one, its like having a lightbulb glowing day and night all the time ..

RDAC

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2007, 02:39:44 am »
I'm currently trying out the low power chip from AMD with a motherboard that has killer onboard video. I'll let you know power and pull numbers from it once it's up and going, but I'm expecting 20w less consumption off peak. Hopefully this'll be half a lightbulb on average!-RH

1audio

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2007, 04:19:17 am »
The power consumption comes from supporting HD playback with a video system really oriented to Gaming.

The Via EPIA EX does most of the same using around 15W. Except an orbiter rebuild will take 10 times as long. And forget multiple streams from the server. They make good clients (if the video is working) but there are still bugs in the advanced playback. And Via's support is directly related to how much sales they expect to get for doing the work. The Vista support has 10X the engineers that Linux has.

MediaMonkey

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2007, 05:59:46 am »
The Via EPIA EX does most of the same using around 15W. Except an orbiter rebuild will take 10 times as long. And forget multiple streams from the server. They make good clients (if the video is working) but there are still bugs in the advanced playback. And Via's support is directly related to how much sales they expect to get for doing the work. The Vista support has 10X the engineers that Linux has.
Interesting! From the picture it looks like Fiire MDs are based on EPIA EX.
Core/Hybrid: Foxconn N570SM2AA-8EKRS2H (has 2 network ports), ASUS EN6200LE, AMD-X2 4000+, 1GB DDR2-800, 500 GB SATA/300, DVD drive/writer, Sony XL1B3, BTC 9019URF, Gyro Mouse, Gyro Remote, USB-UIRT, MS Win XP Remote, ATI HDTV Wonder, HDHomeRun

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2007, 09:58:45 am »
Interesting! From the picture it looks like Fiire MDs are based on EPIA EX.

The EX15000G works great by the way using either the Openchrome or Unichrome Pro drivers... but only under UI1 and will not support UI2 with those drivers. They are no bugs that I am aware of that are specific to the Via's. Fiire ship their Fiirestations with commercial Unichrome Pro II drivers from Via so that they can support the needs of UI2  ie alpha blending etc

Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

MediaMonkey

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2007, 04:22:51 pm »
The EX15000G works great by the way using either the Openchrome or Unichrome Pro drivers... but only under UI1 and will not support UI2 with those drivers. They are no bugs that I am aware of that are specific to the Via's. Fiire ship their Fiirestations with commercial Unichrome Pro II drivers from Via so that they can support the needs of UI2  ie alpha blending etc

Good to know that! I was considering EX15000G for my MDs, because of their lower power consumption and fan-less or at least quiet operation.
Can individuals buy Unichrome Pro II drivers from Via or is it licensed only for OEM?
Core/Hybrid: Foxconn N570SM2AA-8EKRS2H (has 2 network ports), ASUS EN6200LE, AMD-X2 4000+, 1GB DDR2-800, 500 GB SATA/300, DVD drive/writer, Sony XL1B3, BTC 9019URF, Gyro Mouse, Gyro Remote, USB-UIRT, MS Win XP Remote, ATI HDTV Wonder, HDHomeRun

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2007, 07:38:28 pm »

Good to know that! I was considering EX15000G for my MDs, because of their lower power consumption and fan-less or at least quiet operation.
Can individuals buy Unichrome Pro II drivers from Via or is it licensed only for OEM?

As far as I know they are only available to OEM's. Why this is I am not sure... but that seems to be the situation at present.
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

1audio

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2007, 01:26:48 am »
Totallymaxed

Can you post instructions for installing the openchrome and unichrome drivers? The openchrome drivers are not easy but doable it seems, the unichrome driver from Via has really bad directions and quite a few unexplained options.

forumworx

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2007, 06:08:08 pm »
I'm currently trying out the low power chip from AMD with a motherboard that has killer onboard video. I'll let you know power and pull numbers from it once it's up and going, but I'm expecting 20w less consumption off peak. Hopefully this'll be half a lightbulb on average!-RH

Care to share what you're HW setup is?

schaferj

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2007, 08:10:47 pm »
Hello,

I'm also looking at the un-green-ness of mutliple 24/7 servers in the house.

The kubuntu server that hosts the lmce core seems a logical box for consolidating other servers (samba pdc / ipcop, etc) and I've described some thoughs here:
http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=2522

Overall goal is to reduce wasteful power consumption and reduce O&M overhead.

thanks,
joseph

forumworx

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2007, 08:40:32 pm »
Energy consumption is definitely a concern.

The usage of a power hungry core or director is cost prohibitive.

I'd rather spend the $$$ up front on a power miser core or director that may cost me more in the initial hardware startup costs but save me $$$ over time.

You guys tweaked my interest on this. I have a system on 24/7 for torrents, problem is it's a P4 2.8Ghz, 450 watt PS with torrents being written to 1-4 hard disks at a time.

I'm going to consolidate my Harddisks, get one larger one rather than 4 smaller ones(because I had them handy). This should use less power.

I'm also going to setup a separate machine just for torrents, something not very fast, just the bare minimum, with integrated 10/100, 1 Harddisk, no Graphics card, I'll remotely administer the system. It'll run on an older 300W power supply or even less.

Better yet, does anyone know of a torrent client built into a Router firmware?

The core will only come online when I need it, to watch movies, etc.

Anyone else have a similar idea?

teedge77

• Addicted
    • View Profile
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
Asus M2V Via AM2 ATX
Lite-On LH-20A1S SATA DVD Burner
80GB  SATA-150
EVGA GeForce 7300 GT 512MB DDR2 PCI Express
Sound Blaster Audigy SE
Kingston 2 GB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz
Ultra X-Finity 800-Watt
ZCU000
Cisco 7970
TDM400P

gletscher

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2007, 09:58:18 pm »
la Fonera from the FON Wlan community has an integrated bittorrent client, they were giving away these boxes for free here in germany