Archive > MythTV Player Users

MythTV on the Core?

(1/2) > >>

archived:
Can MythTV be set up so that the PVR cards are installed in the core and the M/D would play TV from the core?

Is that even a good idea?

What effect would it have on the hardware requirements on the M/D(e.g. more or less CPU power)?

Thanks

Colin

archived:
yes, myth is actually designed to do that and it works fine.  I don't think CPU is really affected very much on the media director, but it does add more CPU to the core since the core will be doing the capturing.  The myth installation we include is a standard one, so you can do anything with the myth in Pluto that you can outside.  The setup wizard just creates a vanilla myth that assumes you have one PVR card in the media director.  Eventually we would like to expand upon our setup wizard so it is able to automatically configure more sophisticated installations like what you described.  However at the moment if you want such a configuration you will have to read to the myth documentation and configure it by hand the normal myth way.

archived:
So it sounds like it's just a matter of creating a network boot image that has MythTV configured to get the content from a central server. Upon further reading of the docs, it sounds like the media is stored on the core in the default installation, and the only odd thing I'm doing is not putting capture cards into my media directors.

On further reflection I'm thinking the right approach might be to have a single central media director with all the capture cards and then configure the rest of them without capture cards. My basic goal is to get the cost of the media directors as low as possible, and since it's likely I'll want more of them than number of inputs I'd like to record simultaneously, centralizing the capture cards seems like the way to go.

I expect all this will make more sense once I cobble together some hardware and actually start poking around.

Thanks.

archived:
In Myth terms, would it be correct to say that each media director is a  slave backend as well as a frontend?  I am thinking of a similar implementation to that of the parent post, but I want to run the capture cards in a separate system from my Core.   I currently run my mythbackend with 3 capture cards in the basement in my rack, and have CAT5 strung around the house but no coax.  I guess my question boils down to this: if I set up an MD in the basement with all the capture cards in it, can the other MDs around the house view live TV?

archived:
we haven't tested all this yet, and we probably will want to make some changes to our Myth wrappers--we don't have a lot of experienced myth programmers, so our myth integration is not as good as it could be.  We actually have not changed myth at all.  so you could probably change myth's config manually to do what you want--I don't think we overwrite the configuration files, we only use default files that are loaded when myth is first installed.  however our ultimate goal is to make it really easy for the user, so that he can just add PVR capture cards anywhere he wants and share them throughout the home.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Sitemap 
Go to full version