1) Check that you have the latest Bios. Its 1001. They may still be using 0304 on production boards and it doesn't work right with Linux.
2) Asus hardware isn't always perfect. You could have a bad analog interface card or cable.
3) How did you install? CD's or DVD?
4) At the video wizard press 1 for DVI, 2 for VGA and I think 3 for component. Check the Wiki for other options.. You may have been in composite mode or something else. Check the xorg.conf file to see how its set.
1audio -- thanks for your help:
1) The first thing i did before installing anything was update to 0901 as recommended. 1001 is beta, but it's worth a try -- I'll do that - thanks.
2) It shows full color when displaying the ASUS splash screen, [Update: this was an error on my part as the ASUS splash screen doesn't show red -- I want this to be clear in case anyone in the future has this problem -- see below, it was a bad MB video out card]
so I'm thinking it's a driver issue. I've since switched from component to DVI-HDMI -- colors are good during the wizard, but I get no video when it reboots (I hear her talking, but just have a blank screen -- both my vga monitor and DVI outs are blank.)
3) I installed clean using the DVD. (in fact, have reinstalled several times just to clean the slate)
4) Thank you, that is helpful -- I'm vi'ing the xorg.conf file now.
Sorry about my rant -- I thought by getting the recommended hardware, I could bypass issues with nVidia drivers etc., and get to work customizing this thing.
My rant wasn't helpful -- but your response is.