Author Topic: [SOLVED] UI loads and crashes repeatedly  (Read 3695 times)

FuZoRBlade

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
[SOLVED] UI loads and crashes repeatedly
« on: September 14, 2007, 06:50:45 pm »
I've installed linux MCE using the CDs multiple times.. atleast 15 times, on three different configurations of hardware.

One problem i keep running into is that that once ive gone through the setup wizard and everything, the menu system loads with a black background. However, when i mouse over any of the menus, like system or media or security, the menu doesnt pop up. A few minutes later the background becomes grey, and the menus shift so that part of it is cut off. Then a progress bar shows up on screen and says its waiting for mythtv/xine etc to start up. Then the progress bar goes to the end and the process repeats itself. Sometimes i get a black screen that says "some devices did not start up correctly. You can use it, but functionality is limited"..
This is on the Asus M2NPV-VM Motherboard.

any ideas???
im pulling my hair out with all of these problems
« Last Edit: September 15, 2007, 10:33:41 pm by FuZoRBlade »

teedge77

• Addicted
    • View Profile
Re: UI loads and crashes repeatedly
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2007, 07:08:49 pm »
while it is starting things up, which one is last? most likely that is the one causing the problem. my App_Server has never started. i have an Asus M2V. idk if thats the problem or not. ive poseted about it and looked. a few other people had the same problem with no fix. you get an option to hit ok right ? then you can use linuxmce?
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
Asus M2V Via AM2 ATX
Lite-On LH-20A1S SATA DVD Burner
80GB  SATA-150
EVGA GeForce 7300 GT 512MB DDR2 PCI Express
Sound Blaster Audigy SE
Kingston 2 GB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz
Ultra X-Finity 800-Watt
ZCU000
Cisco 7970
TDM400P

FuZoRBlade

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2007, 09:57:00 pm »
It gives me an option to hit okay whe n the "devices didnt load correctly" screen comes.. but literally 2-3 seconds later it goes back to the grey screen with part of the UI cut off. No time really to hit okay or anything like that.

unless theres a fix, i guess im going to abandon this project.. Ive spent too many hours trying to get this to work. Dont get me wrong i love what you guys are doing with this project, but either i'm not intelligent enough to get it to work, or its just not stable.. Keep at it, maybe 6 months down the road ill check to see if any newer versions will be easier/less buggy.

FuZoRBlade

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2007, 10:33:09 pm »
Well teedge I found the solution for my problem, I decided to have one last go before I gave up on the project, and I did a few things differently. First, I didnt install the DVD CSS codec initially. Second, I disabled the onboard nvidia lan, and i put in two intel lan controllers. I had a feeling that having only one lan port could be causing problems, because of the DHCP server in linuxmce.

Installed it, and everything works like a charm. After I got the menus working, I went into the web admin panel and changed the network settings so that I assigned the PC a static IP. Then after the internet started working, I used the following commands to install the DVDCSS:

sudo apt-get install -y libdvdread3
sudo /usr/share/doc/libdvdread3/install-css.sh

Since then everything has been working fine. I hope this helps anyone that has been having problems.

teedge77

• Addicted
    • View Profile
Re: [SOLVED] UI loads and crashes repeatedly
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2007, 11:44:03 pm »
well im glad you didnt give up altogether on it. did you figure out which part wasnt starting?
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
Asus M2V Via AM2 ATX
Lite-On LH-20A1S SATA DVD Burner
80GB  SATA-150
EVGA GeForce 7300 GT 512MB DDR2 PCI Express
Sound Blaster Audigy SE
Kingston 2 GB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz
Ultra X-Finity 800-Watt
ZCU000
Cisco 7970
TDM400P