Author Topic: How should my media be organized?  (Read 3282 times)

hobbes487

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
How should my media be organized?
« on: September 14, 2007, 01:59:17 am »
I have a windows server that contains all of my media and it is shared on my network.  What is the best way to organize it for use by linuxMCE?  For example, right now I have all of my movies in xvid format all in one directory on the server.  Should each movie be in a separate directory?  Also, a few movies have their own directories because they have a direct show subtitle file with it.  How will linuxMCE handle this?

Another question I have is about the other data I have on my server.  Some of it is just applications, games, utilies, etc. (i.e. not media).  Can I specify which directories linuxMCE should look for media in?

LoSt

• View Profile
Re: How should my media be organized?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2007, 03:55:41 am »
Once your server is discovered and you allow LinuxMCE to connect to it, LinuxMCE is set up to scan for all media. So it should find most of your movies, etc. I don't know enough to answer the subtitle question though.

Hopefully someone else can chime in, but I haven't been able to figure out how to tell LinuxMCE to look on "This device in This folder for... music/movies/pics/etc"... and only this folder. I have a Lacie Ethernet drive set up as a windows share on my network with all my music/pictures/movies on it.

edit: now that I'm playing with the MCE box again after three weeks of nothing, it looks like you need to configure the MetaData for songs. I had a few ripped CD's that wouldn't show up on the menu. I wonder if it's the same for movies...

slamMan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2007, 04:41:41 am »
LoSt,

Your audio files wouldn't happen to be Ogg files would they? I am having trouble with a library of music where the MP3 all show up but the OGG files only show up when sorted by filename. Like you said I think it is a problem with MCE reading the tags in the OGG format. Not sure if it carries over to things like movies and other music formats.

SlamMAn

LoSt

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2007, 07:31:26 am »
LoSt,

Your audio files wouldn't happen to be Ogg files would they? I am having trouble with a library of music where the MP3 all show up but the OGG files only show up when sorted by filename. Like you said I think it is a problem with MCE reading the tags in the OGG format. Not sure if it carries over to things like movies and other music formats.

SlamMAn

my audio files are all MP3 or WMA. No OGG files as of yet.

LoSt

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2007, 08:58:17 am »
You probably need to change the sort option on the Orbiter when looking in your pictures folder. If it is sorting by an attribute and none of the files have any attributes set, then they won't appear. For video you need to sort by filename, not sure what it is for pics, could be title, could be filename. Also, you can use the media browser in the admin console to confirm that they have been catalogued, or that it even sees the windows share...