Author Topic: Installation Issue  (Read 2334 times)

nagate816

• First post!
    • View Profile
Installation Issue
« on: October 06, 2007, 04:38:36 am »
Hello, I have been very impressed with everything I have seen and read about LinuxMCE.  Last week I took the plunge and tried to install the DVD on a Dell Pentium II PC.  Like other I got the trransparency error that others have posted.  Thinking it was the ATI card installed inteh PC i purchased a (nVidia) GEForce 6200 video card and tried again.  I got the same result and so decided to try the CD approach.  So successfully installed Kubuntu 7.04 (which I really like !!) and then tried to install the CDs.  MAybe this is where my lack of Linux background comes in but (following the instructions in the wiki) I right clicked on the Debian MCE Installer icon and selected Kububtu PAckage Manager and then Install Package.  The first time I did this I got a password: prompt - I type in my login password and then got an error.  Each timeI have tried it since I have got the same error "Cannot access Archive - no file or directory exists".

What am I missing ??  Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Neil   

Space

• Making baby steps
  • Catch the bug!
    • View Profile
Re: Installation Issue
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2007, 12:20:04 am »
Hi,
Nearly the exact same things happened on my install attempts as the post above:

1) I installed the DVD, then on first boot from hard drive it boots and loads then sits with no video (black screen) with I beleive the software running ok but with no visuals. Have to turn off the pc. I have an nvidia 7600 graphics card.

So I tried the CD approach:

2) I installed Kubuntu 7.04 from CD then on first boot from hard drive (USB2 External HDD set to boot in bios)  get "Error 17 can't mount the selected partition in ubuntu". Read a forum, said press "e" change 1 0 to 0 0 for drives to boot from and press a key to boot and kubuntu boots.
Then did the install package like the guy above posted and get a text password bot where the only key that seems fo work is enter!

Not a good start for a linuxmce first timer!
Can anyone help?
Cheers