General > Users

CableCARD supported (yet)? How to get premium HD channels?

(1/4) > >>

wackychimp:
Hi all,

Wondering if LMCE / Myth support CableCARDs to allow for digital cable in the US yet?  I found this post from several months back:

http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=1622.0

and wondered if any progress had been made in this area. 

This would be the only way I could get premium HD content (like sports & HBO) from my cable company (I think).

Zaerc:

--- Quote from: cckrobinson on May 17, 2007, 03:21:42 am ---I believe babakrezai is referring to CableCARD, not a capture card capable of recording digital cable.  CableCARD is a small plug-in card that allows you to view encrypted digital cable in the US.  CableCARD was touted as an alternative to renting a set-top box from the cable company.  I believe the Tivo Series3 and Vista Media Center are currently the only DVR's on the market that support CableCARD.  The Cable companies don't like CableCARD, and you have to jump through numerous hoops to license it (just ask Tivo).  I highly doubt that it will be available legally for Linux for quite some time. 

--- End quote ---

I think that answers your question.

wackychimp:
Gotcha.  So will I never be able to watch premium cable content on LMCE? 

Possible workaround: getting a cable box from my cable company and using some kind of USB-UIRT thing to control it.... maybe?

Anybody doing anything like this? (I just gotta get ESPN HD)

And, yes, Time Warner Cable sucks!

teedge77:
well they used IR in the demo video. you might want to check that and get a better idea of how to do it.
youd still need to have your tv hooked up straight to the cable box.
you can use the usb-uirt to switch input on the tv to the cable box and control it with linuxmce.
then switch the input back to linuxmce to watch dvds or whatever.

wackychimp:
Yeah, that looks like it might work but I couldn't DVR the premium content. Right?

Possible to do:

Cable box (controlled by IR) ---> LMCE Box ---> HD Projector

and have a High Def DVR?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Sitemap 
Go to full version