Much of the AppleTV's hardware is supported natively under the Linux kernel. In this section, we will be expanding on the Linux driver details.
Intel CPU Core
* Speedstep functionality - WORKING
GeForce 7300 Go (NV40) Note: framebuffer fixes in SVN as of April 6, 2007 - please recompile
* Official NVidia binary driver works without modification. Full 3D and framebuffer acceleration.
* OSS NVidia driver works without modification (also provides acceleration)
(==) NV(0): Write-combining range (0x10000000,0x4000000)
(II) NV(0): Using XFree86 Acceleration Architecture (XAA)
Screen to screen bit blits
Solid filled rectangles
8x8 mono pattern filled rectangles
Indirect CPU to Screen color expansion
Scanline Image Writes
Setting up tile and stipple cache:
32 128x128 slots
32 256x256 slots
16 512x512 slots
* HDMI - WORKING (DVI tested)
* Component working using a single cable (chinch cable at the green video output connected to the yellow video input of my old 4:3 CRT-TV). Colors are fine and so you don't need a video converter box (as suggested in many forums). Tested using the binary nvidia driver and this config:
VendorName "nVidia Corporation"
BoardName "Quadro NVS 110M / GeForce Go 7300"
# Option "MetaModes" "1680x1050"
# Option "ConnectedMonitor" "DFP,TV"
Option "TVStandard" "PAL-B"
Option "UseDisplayDevice" "TV"
Intel HD Audio
* HDA-Intel driver recognized by default
* Analog RCA - WORKING (see http://forum.awkwardtv.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=167&hilit=&start=70
* Optical SPDIF - WORKING
* HDMI - apparently NOT WORKING
* mactel-linux driver recognizes it - untested otherwise
* first signal from apple remote is somewhat recognized. Any following signals are not reported. After reloading usbhid module another signal is reported (using cat with /dev/input/by-id/usb-Apple_Computer,_Inc._IR_Receiver-event-ir)
patch appleir.c to include the AppleTV IR USB id (#define USB_DEVICE_ID_APPLE_TV_IR 0x8241) in the same way as USB_DEVICE_ID_APPLE_IR and it will work.
* Apple_TV_Linux_IR_Howto details the userspace method.
Broadcom BCM94321MC wireless
* NDISWrapper Windows drivers - WORKING with a Dell Driver and ndiswrapper 1.41
* USB booting works when you disable ehci-hcd in kernel
* possible to boot Linux from USB Flash memory?
* USB HID working (keyboard, mouse), but not with ehci-hcd
* USB Storage working (tested with usb memory stick), but not with ehci-hcd