Yeah, I had read that, but unfortunately, none of the keyboard shortcuts had any effect - either because none of the resolutions in AVWizard work on my monitor (it's only got two native settings), or because it was kicking over to the onboard graphics card (I have no way of checking, unfortunately, as I don't have a VGAmonitor any more).
Luckily, I was able to sort it out - I over-wrote the Xorg.conf,xorg.conf.avwizardr and xorg.conf.avwizard with the one that I got Xorg to generate (which worked with the normal KDE desktop).
Then I found the bit in the wiki where you can stop Avwizard from editing Xorg.conf, and added that part into the file. This enabled me to get AVwizard up visible, so I could carry on from there. UI2 all up and running now!
Thanks anyway though!