Author Topic: More on porting to QNX / Photon  (Read 15270 times)

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
More on porting to QNX / Photon
« on: April 13, 2005, 08:31:49 pm »
I am rather enthusiastic about the prospect of getting the Orbiter software running on my Audrey.

While my programming skills are meager I would be willing to work on a port.  I've managed a few trivial QNX/Photon applications before.  Is there anyone I could get in touch with that could answer a few questions as I have them?  On a project like this a little guidance can go along way.  

As I understand it all of the OS specific functions are in their own libraries so I just need to implement the drawing/sound etc. functions for QNX.  It doesn't seem too difficult.  My first task will be to get the software to compile with dummy calls in place and then start working on functionality.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
More on porting to QNX / Photon
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2005, 09:15:17 pm »
It's actually not too difficult.  The UI specific stuff, like graphics and text, is in a separate class from the common base logic (which is 99% of the code).  Originally Orbiter used SDL, and Chris, our Orbiter developer, just did a new rendering engine using PocketFrog libraries.  Essentially it's the same thing you'd need to do for Audry--a new rendering engine.  I think it only took him a couple days to get it working.  If you have Yahoo messenger, you can email him directly at chris.m to exchange ID's.  Otherwise, you can check in the code.  Orbiter_SDL.cpp was the old rendering with SDL.  Orbiter_PocketFrog.cpp is the new one with PocketFrog.  And you'll want to create an Orbiter_Audry.cpp with whatever proprietary graphics/sdk calls Audry uses.  Take a look at those files and see if it makes sense to you, and Chris can help out.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Re: More on porting to QNX / Photon
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2005, 01:10:36 pm »
Quote from: "acromion"
I am rather enthusiastic about the prospect of getting the Orbiter software running on my Audrey.

While my programming skills are meager I would be willing to work on a port.  I've managed a few trivial QNX/Photon applications before.  Is there anyone I could get in touch with that could answer a few questions as I have them?  On a project like this a little guidance can go along way.  

As I understand it all of the OS specific functions are in their own libraries so I just need to implement the drawing/sound etc. functions for QNX.  It doesn't seem too difficult.  My first task will be to get the software to compile with dummy calls in place and then start working on functionality.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Hi,

I'm also Audrey owner and having Orbiter on it would be great. Looking forward to any further news...

Regards,

Rob.